How to install dust boots on MOOG ball joints?????

-

Lasalle

Reaction score
It appears the fit is supposed to be tight but I can't push them in place. It seems like the boot is just a tad too small. I don't want to ruin them or install with a gap. Hints?

I found a socket big enough to put the boot inside and pushed them on with that. It will be easier if you put the boots out in sun first to get them more pliable

I found a socket big enough to put the boot inside and pushed them on with that. It will be easier if you put the boots out in sun first to get them more pliable
And in my experience… cuss. A lot.

Success without cussing! Pauly's method worked. I went to the hardware store and got a piece of pvc plastic pipe with inner diameter of 2" and a piece of steel plumbing pipe with an inner diameter of 1 5/8". I put the lower ball joint in a vise and slipped the smaller tube over the boot. I put a piece of wood across the tube and gave it a good rap with a heavy hammer and it went right on. I already had the upper control arm/upper ball joint on the car so I did the same arrangement with the plastic tube but I used a long C clamp to press the boot on.
These unexpected difficulties has made the learning curve steep for this front end rebuild project.

-
Back