How to Install Urethane Torsion Bar Boots Quickly

-

Reddartowner

UCF Alumni....Go Knights!
Reaction score
I can't take credit for this idea, but I thought I'd pass it along with added detail after seeing it on another Mopar forum. I've tried putting the urethane boots in boililng water, which did nothing at all. I've heard about putting them in the microwave, but that seemed too risky. What worked well for me was to use a heat gun and gently heat the boots, taking about 2 minutes using a swirling motion around the small end of the boot, moving the gun away if the urethane starts to puddle. Have a friend hold the back end of the torsion bar, and grease the front hex of the bar. Use welding gloves or yard gloves because the boot will get way too hot to hold. After heating the boot, place it over the end of the bar and push with a rocking, twisting motion. If the boot doesn't slip over the bar hex end in 10 seconds it needs more heating. Using this method I installed both boots in less than 10 minutes.:cheers:

Just thought someone might like to know...........

Thanks,I swore at mine.Well, I know next time.Nice Dart it the pic.

I use rubber ones, but a trick I use is I cut a cheap plastic funnel off and use it as an expanding tool. With heating it might work on poly ones too.

I use rubber ones, but a trick I use is I cut a cheap plastic funnel off and use it as an expanding tool. With heating it might work on poly ones too.

I boiled mine and slid them on but it was still tough.

i just put a little grease on mine and worked them on. took about 30 seconds per boot.

-
Back