How to prep gutters for weatherstrip/glass installation

-

roughidle

Super Platinum Member
Reaction score
Getting geared up to get some glass back in my '68 fish. My question is in regards to prepping the front and rear window gutters prior to installing the glass and seals.

I was planning on (without a bit of research) cleaning the areas that needed it and then sanding down all inside and outside surfaces. Then after sanding is done I was going to spray with a self etching primer then hit it with primer sealer.

My additional question would be should I topcoat it after doing the primer sealer or would that be sufficient?

Thanks

D

Should I even bother with the self etching and sealer? Or should I just do the epoxy prime and paint? Only reason I'm asking is I was hoping to be able to use something out of a rattle can as I have such a small shop to work in. The car will be going out a relatives paint shop to get sprayed when the time comes, but I was hoping to just do what I had to do to get the glass in without removing th car from my garage....

Thanks

Oh look at you lucky one. I'd Put the glass in after paint. Time will be better spent blocking primer.

Main reason I wanted to get the glass back on the car was to aleviate my anxiety of storing and subsequently breaking either the front or rear glass....

Wrap it in a blanket, put it in your closet. After paint is the time to put glass in, not before.

-
Back