How to prepare for winter storage?

-

Richard McLaughlin

1974 Duster 340
Reaction score
First year with my duster.
I will be parking it in my attached insulated garage.

What do I need to do to get it ready? Fuel stabilizer etc...

Should I start it every few weeks and let idle? Or is that bad?

Thanks!
Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
#1. Blow up tires and get them off the floor . #2. Change oil and filter . #3 make sure you have at least 50/50 mix of anti-freeze . #4 . Either drain fuel and let it run out of gas or use Sta-Bil . #5 . Disconnect coil , open butterflies and spray Marine Fogging Oil while cranking motor . #6 Cover car with a breathable cover . #7. Visit whenever you like and check for drips or leaks .

fuel stabilizer,keep the bat fully charge or at least recharge it 2 or 3 time during the winter

dont need to start the engine
bring humidity to the oïl and the entire engine and that really bad

better get it really hot before storage and let it sit
remove valve cover and unbolt the rockers
so the valve spring will relax all winther long and
dont be crush at full lift on some cylinder

some people put engine oïl in the carb before
but...

can put jack stand Under the frame
so the suspention could also relax
I also put tick cardboard Under it so no humidity
from the ground , floor dont get to the underside

Im sure other do diferent but that s I do for mine

Bob

Park it far enough over that I can run the snowblower alongside it. :thumbsup:

2016-11-11 19.13.11.jpg

Farmed for 40 years. 2-3 combines ,3 tractors ,3 trucks , 2 pickups and a car . Dont knock yourself out. Check tires, antifreeze and in the last couple of years I have become a believer in the Battery Tender.
Yote

Tenders can be bad too.

Large collection not too far from me, tenders on over 40 restored cars.

Some of the batteries exploded & they were not not found until spring, the acid did what acid does.

I just use one of the knob style disconnects on my cars.

Good to know. Are you sure or is it here say??? I have used tenders for several years now with no problem. They have even added two years life to a battery that wouldn't start anything a week after being charged.
Yote

Good to know. Are you sure or is it here say??? I have used tenders for several years now with no problem. They have even added two years life to a battery that wouldn't start anything a week after being charged.
Yote
Fog it, hang the suspension, remove the battery and keep the battery charged. Or not. If it was me i would start it twice a month, let it come up to operating temperature, engage the transmission, pump the brakes, hell drive it if you can, that would be best.
EDIT: sorry, wrong quote and ALWAYS use non ethanol fuel

Last edited:
Yote

They told me about it. Then we visited the shop & I saw it. It was not pretty.

I'm with Yote in I change the oil, check the antifreeze for strength, I put a couple extra pounds in the tires, top off gas tank with stabil additive and make sure everything is clean before hooking up the battery tenders.
I've done this for as long as I had the Challenger with no problems.
Hearing about some issues with the battery tenders having some batteries explode is honestly a little worrisome, but I think I will continue to keep an eye on them.
Fortunately they are just in the back yard.
As an extra side note a friend of mine who is a does body work I trust says running an oscillating fan helps control moisture too. Just a matter of keeping the air moving so I do that as well.

I'm glad that I don't have to worry about all the special precautions.I just go drive it every weekend. Just fire it up every weekend and make sure you get it up to operating temp.
Id be more worried about putting shitty gas in it and letting it go stale. If you put stabil in it then your gonna have to burn all that crap out when you get around to driving it again.
How long is it gonna sit for ?

back off rockers, less stress on springs, bag and seal tailpipes, or use tennis balls, depends on exhaust , no moisture creeps into engine that way,plus all the above

The best answer is keep drivin it.

-
Back