How to Race a 4-Speed Car

-

73Dart340Sport

73dart340
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready for my first test & tune session. I have never raced before. Is there any guidance on racing a 4-Speed car?

First make sure your shifter, clutch, and linkage are adjusted properly. You'll have to find what your best launch rpm is and tire pressure, and determine your shift points. Your tach is your friend. I usually power shift through the gears from there, and try not to miss a shift, especially if you have no rev limiter. JMO, Mike

I have a MSD 6AL with the Rev limiter with the plug in module, which should keep my engine somewhat safe. I'm more interested in finding articles or guidance that would help me determine my shift points. I have a book called "Auto Math" that covers some of that stuff. Are there any good articles or books out there?

If you are looking for the best shift point..Try shifting at several different RPM's until you produce the best MPH (may not necessarily be the best ET). The MPH is the best indicator as to how much HP you are getting out of it.

Once you have established what shift points will give you the best MPH, tweak on the chassis (ie: tire pressure, shock settings, cal-trac settings). Anything that will produce the best 60'.

Oh, one more hint, take the slack out of the driveline by releasing the clutch just prior to the point of forward motion. This will save you from trashing the driveline.

You won't be good at power shifting if you don't practice. On the street try doing it at say, 3000 rpm. The most important thing is concentration. Clear everything out of your head and concentrate on the job at hand.

most important dont leave on the green. most people hammer it on the last yellow as soon as it lites up any at all and if your reaction times are still near 600 move up a light. Most races are won at the tree.

Newb here when comes to racing as well. NOT that I'll be doing much of it. Mostly for fun. Could someone explain what "take the slack out of the driveline by releasing the clutch just prior to the point of forward motion" means.

Newb here when comes to racing as well. NOT that I'll be doing much of it. Mostly for fun. Could someone explain what "take the slack out of the driveline by releasing the clutch just prior to the point of forward motion" means.

Just that. With the brake engaged, let the clutch out almost to the point of foward motion of the vehicle. It helps to tighten that little bit of movement in the driveshaft just before you drop the clutch. I had 92,000 miles on a set of stock U-Joints in my 5 Speed Dakota, launching on a 150 shot and slicks. Never dropped a driveshaft. And that was almost every weekend for about 3 years.

With the break engaged let out on the clutch until the slack is removed? Do you factor in launch RPM? I guess what I'm asking is with the clutch out to the point of removing slack, when you add RPMs prior to launch, how do you arrest forward creep prior to rolling forward and red-lighting?

I googled it and found some good stuff. Pretty simple I guess. I'll let others explain. I don't think I want to thrash on my new tranny just yet. :burnout:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Transw...ue#Power_shifting_.28a.k.a._speed_shifting.29

I notice they didn't say anything about "side stepping" the clutch in that article. A very useful tool from a roll race. Say you are rolling along around 25 MPH and someone is next to you wanting to race. You can push down slightly on the clutch (less than 1/2 way), to build up RPMS and drop the clutch. Basically it's like having a stall convertor. It will help alot in a roll race. And yeah, that's hard on the equipment too.

Maybe someone should explain power shifting.

Just that. With the brake engaged, let the clutch out almost to the point of foward motion of the vehicle. It helps to tighten that little bit of movement in the driveshaft just before you drop the clutch. I had 92,000 miles on a set of stock U-Joints in my 5 Speed Dakota, launching on a 150 shot and slicks. Never dropped a driveshaft. And that was almost every weekend for about 3 years.

You racing down at the track in Noble. I graduated from OU.

With the break engaged let out on the clutch until the slack is removed? Do you factor in launch RPM? I guess what I'm asking is with the clutch out to the point of removing slack, when you add RPMs prior to launch, how do you arrest forward creep prior to rolling forward and red-lighting?

some people use a line lock. I kept one foot on the clutch, my toe from my right foot on the brake, and my heel of my right foot on the gas :). Hold RPM at 3K and LAUNCH! Yeah, it takes a little practice.

Cool. How long ago was it?

I live in Norman, have most of my life. Born here, grew up here, left for several years and came back. I went to OU back in 1987/88

Was at OU from 93-98. My brother is attending OU right now. He's a junior I think.

My buddy must have been absent that day when it was taught that you engage the clutch when shifting between gears. When he side steps the clutch in first gear...that is the last time he touches the clutch until the end of the race. He has been doing that since the 60's..I asked him how he does it...he said just dont think about it or you will miss the shift.

Anyway that is how he power shifts a 4 speed..

Rick

My buddy must have been absent that day when it was taught that you engage the clutch when shifting between gears. When he side steps the clutch in first gear...that is the last time he touches the clutch until the end of the race. He has been doing that since the 60's..I asked him how he does it...he said just dont think about it or you will miss the shift.

Anyway that is how he power shifts a 4 speed..

Rick

You just completed the second school of thought on this.

I always slipped the clutch off the line and aimed for the dimmer switch, side stepped on every gear while trying to put my right foot through the floor board.

LOTS of good suggestions posted.

Here's a run i made last weekend.

First time I've had teh car out in a year.

http://media.putfile.com/First-qualifier-Port-2007

I ran a 10.79 @ 126.54 on this run .

r/t was a killer .149 and my 60' was 1.55

I was leaving/ side stepping the clutch at 5000 rpm

I got a little distracted , and looked at the other guys lights come on.

i tried to keep revving the motor up, and nail it when the tree came down.

i was leaving when the "second to last yellow was BRIGHT".

Your success of staging the car and cutting a good light depends how deep or shallow you are.

My qualifing r/t sucked ( .149,.315.129,and 1.039)

When I figured out how to stage i cut a .007, and a .089 in eliminations .

I have a brakeline pressure guage on my car and put about 80 lbs on the front brakes.

What I did to stage the car was light the top bulb, put pressure on front brakes and "drive " the car into the last set of lights.

What are you running for a trans?.

I'm using a Hemi4 speed that has been "Pro shifted" by Liberty gear.

SHIFTS DAMN FAST and quick.

My shifter is a Hurst Super Shifter 3 .

i spent ALOT of time making sure the linkage was installed correctly and wasn't binding.

I've got a hyd t/o brg, and just put "a bit' of pressure on the pedal between gear changes.

I've got a grand total of 6 good runs on the car, and they all came this weekend.

One of the best things i did was go to a race where there were a bunch of stick cars, and payed alot of attention to how the drivers drove the cars.

Good luck and post some results on how you did.

Todd

I can remember years ago when my Dad had his 440-6pack 4 speed Super Bee. When he ran it, you could not hear the shifts, just one steady pull. I have only seen a handful of people that could drive a stick like that. Now you have a goal.... :)

-
Back