How to remove 1966 manual brake pushrod

-

Kevin74

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I’m replacing the master cylinder on my 66 Barracuda, and replacing it with a dual master cylinder from a 1967.

It seems that the pushrod is stuck to the rear piston of the old master cylinder. Any tips for freeing the pushrod from that old piston?

Thanks,
Kevin

C984AC68-1A4B-4910-B255-8B696FF9B445.jpeg

Reassemble pushrod assembly into master cylinder. Mount master to the firewall, hook up brake pedal to the pushrod, and pull the pedal hard towards you. Rod will pull out

Its held in by a hard rubber keeper and it pops out.
I carefully put my rod in a vise with the rod up and the master facing down. Spray a little WD40 in the shaft and smack the master ear downward with a dead blow hammer once or twice and it pops out.
Hold the master with the other hand so it doesnt fall to the ground.

Kevin, I see in your pic the cylinder is out of the master. You can still remove the rod by using a vice and a smack down the cylinder by straddling it with a pickle fork, then smack it good with a hammer. (If you dont have a fork, use an open end wrench, but wrap a rag around it so you dont sting your hand.) See tool below:
Screenshot_20200321-215408_Chrome.jpg

Kevin, I see in your pic the cylinder is out of the master. You can still remove the rod by using a vice and a smack down the cylinder by straddling it with a pickle fork, then smack it good with a hammer. (If you dont have a fork, use an open end wrench, but wrap a rag around it so you dont sting your hand.) See tool below:
View attachment 1715491292
Joey,

That worked for me! Thank you very much for the great advice.

-
Back