How to remove chrome...

-

grassy

Reaction score
I have a flip top gas cap and a couple of mirrors that I would like to remove the chrome from...I know I just cannot wire brush the stuff off..

I have found some ways..

Soak the item overnight in a container filled with cola
The cola will remove the chrome thoroughly and ready it to be wiped off.

Soak the chromed item in household bleach

Of these household items, only bleach will leave the primer in place.

Use brake-fluid to remove chrome plating.
Rub the chrome object with brake fluid and let it set about 10 minutes before rubbing it off with chrome finish.

Brake fluid may darken the metal if left to sit too long, so it is smart to apply the process repeatedly until you have the result you want.

Has anyone tried the above or have a favorite way to removing
chrome ?

Thanks
ian.

I would be cautious with the brake fluid. It may make problems for any primer or paint afterwards unless cleaned thoroughly.

For my mirrors I unbolt them from the back side.

Darryl

I am concerned with the rubber in the gas cap and the glass/glue on the mirrors..

ian.

I thought about that...2 and a half hours of driving ...maybe my only option.

I was thinking about using some caustic soda I have left over from my rust removal machine but i don't know what it would do to the non chrome parts.

I ran into this...it is in 2 languages...just javex ? I have a hard time believing this..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnsFq85Omcc"]Déchromage jantes - YouTube[/ame]

Ian.

Those are plastic model car parts...won't work the same as chrome metal parts.

I have used Westley's bleche-wite and Easy-Off oven cleaner (the classic yellow can stuff) for years doing that on little plastic parts.

Paul

I thought about that...2 and a half hours of driving ...maybe my only option.

I was thinking about using some caustic soda I have left over from my rust removal machine but i don't know what it would do to the non chrome parts.

I ran into this...it is in 2 languages...just javex ? I have a hard time believing this..

Déchromage jantes - YouTube

Ian.

...a lot of folks think aircraft stripper may work....and it can be bought in Canada..

Anyone use this ?

Thanks
Ian.

-
Back