How to remove front brake cable, dodge omni

-

74Dusted

Stock Piler of 340's
Reaction score
Anyone know how to pull the front e brake cable on a 1983 Plymouth Scamp GT (omni/horizon brake system)?

I removed the center console and pulled the rubber boot off the floor, but the cable doesn't budge with a brass punch & hammer. Looking at the new cable there isn't anything that holds it in, it just slips through the hole in the floor and is kept in place by a bracket that holds the cable casing/ housing to the subframe under the car...err truck... Err Cruck.

Most ebrake cables can be removed by using a tight fitting boxed end wrench to compress the lock tabs and then pulling the cable thru the bracket or backing plate. Most I have run into use a 1/2 boxed wrench.

Brian

Most ebrake cables can be removed by using a tight fitting boxed end wrench to compress the lock tabs and then pulling the cable thru the bracket or backing plate. Most I have run into use a 1/2 boxed wrench.

Brian

You were right, it "should" have had one of the Lock (claw) Rings/Collars around the ends of the cable.

Half of the ring was gone/broken on the original cable, which is why I couldn't figure out how to get it out of the floor (didn't see the lock tabs). It eventually popped loose and I noticed it had a piece of the lock ring on it.

The new cable didn't come with lock rings/collars, so I'm digging around in the shop to see if I have some in a drawer somewhere so I can hook up the E-Brake on the little cruck to make it mobile again.

-
Back