How to remove sliding heater and air conditioner controls.

-

lsrguy2007

Reaction score
I have a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport that I just bought. i'm trying to bring it back to original condition and am working on the inside. I'm working on redoing the dash board panels and am trying to figure out how to remove the two slide controls or their knobs so I can get the middle panel off. I think I can get the radio out and the rest are just screws I think but am stuck on how to get the slide controls or the knobs off. Can anyone help? I can afford the get the body and chassis manuals yet but that will happen in the Summer sometime. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

On my '69 the square chrome knobs on the sliders have an allen screw on bottom. Don't know if '73 is the same but try looking on the underside for an allen screw.

I have a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport that I just bought. i'm trying to bring it back to original condition and am working on the inside. I'm working on redoing the dash board panels and am trying to figure out how to remove the two slide controls or their knobs so I can get the middle panel off. I think I can get the radio out and the rest are just screws I think but am stuck on how to get the slide controls or the knobs off. Can anyone help? I can afford the get the body and chassis manuals yet but that will happen in the Summer sometime. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
the heater controls attach to two studs that are screwed in to the backside of the center ip bezel and are also attached to (pass through) two mounting tangs that are connected to the ip frame with two small nuts. you can see the studs protruding through the tangs ( a couple inches above the radio knob holes) in the picture of the backside of the center ip. The two outermost ears with holes in them on the heater control will have the studs go through them an a small nut will secure each one. This is for non ac. As far as i know, the contol "knob" does not come off

P1010209.JPG

P1010210.JPG

P1010211.JPG

the heater controls attach to two studs that are screwed in to the backside of the center ip bezel and are also attached to (pass through) two mounting tangs that are connected to the ip frame with two small nuts. you can see the studs protruding through the tangs ( a couple inches above the radio knob holes) in the picture of the backside of the center ip. The two outermost ears with holes in them on the heater control will have the studs go through them an a small nut will secure each one. This is for non ac. As far as i know, the contol "knob" does not come off

View attachment 1716198982

View attachment 1716198985

View attachment 1716198990
Thanks for your help on this and the pics. I'm trying to get the dash panels off to redo. I was able to wiggle the knobs off so that I can slide the panel over the slide switches.

I should have mentioned that the picture of the inside of the dash panel is actually a 72 with the tangs from a 73 JB welded in. The 73 hole for the hvac controls is a bit larger than the 72. To refinish the dash panel woodgrain, I would use the decals from Detroit Gasket. They fit well and have a nice appearance.

I should have mentioned that the picture of the inside of the dash panel is actually a 72 with the tangs from a 73 JB welded in. The 73 hole for the hvac controls is a bit larger than the 72. To refinish the dash panel woodgrain, I would use the decals from Detroit Gasket. They fit well and have a nice appearance.
Ok. Thanks for your help!

OK. Thank you.

I can't find anything on Detroit Gasket. Is there another name they go by? Thanks.

He's probably referring to Detroit Muscle Technologies. Great company! If you can't find what you need on the website, email James (Jim) and he'll help you find it. Email address is on the website.

-
Back