how to replace rubber bushing in sway bar mounting bracket

-

340doc

Reaction score
I have a stock front sway bar on a 71 Duster, the bar is captured in rubber bushings in the mounting brackets to the K-frame. How do you replace these rubbers and are they even available? The bracket is welded together around the rubber. Thanks..

Yes

Summit and lots of others have them. Poly ones just like the original rubber pieces.

When I did mine I used some pieces of wood on either side and sqeezed them with some small clamps. They poped right in and did not scratch up the new epoxy paint.

Spray a little silicone on them and use previous method, or invent your own. I used channel locks, popped right together.

this can be a bit difficult.
..remove the original rubber and slide the empty brackets down to the end link section where it is narrower.
Using lube and clamps or water pump pliers just force the top in followed by the sides.
Four letter words are your friend here.

One of my brackets was tweaked from the previous owner hitting a curb. I ended up installing aftermarket brackets with greaseable poly bushings.

Attachments

• IMG_2572.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 216
Pretty simple really.
Cut the weld of the strap, bend it back enough to install the new bushing, pinch down the strap, and weld it back up.
Look at the left bushing in the picture.
If you don't have a welder, you must know someone that does.

Attachments

• Sway Bar Brackets.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 209
This is what i did ^^^
then used cold Gel to weld it back

Ok, thanks for all the response! Hey qkcuda, where did you get those aftermarket pieces?

I'm pretty sure it was a kit from Energy Suspension.

I found the box. Part number is 5.5135G (15/16 Mopar Sway Bar Adapter)

After weeks of trying all kinds of ways to get poly triangular bushings on the bar and in the factory bracket...I tried lube, boiling water,every kind of home rigged press and every tool I had...fighting and cussing them the whole way, but no go!

Finally cut and drilled them for bolts. Not factory correct but if the bushings wear out before I die at least I know I'll never have to go through that again.

-
Back