How to reseal seams and repaint the trunk?

-

twister360

Reaction score
I have a 74 Duster and the seam sealer seperated over time and water became trapped behind this sealer and caused a small rust thru. It is on the DS rear quarter and is very small. There are other areas where the sealer has lifted and rust scale has formed. The condition of the metal in the trunk is solid, just some scale and bad sealer. My plan is to remove all the sealer and clean the trunk area to bare metal.

My question: Steps to treat bare metal, seal and repaint. What products do you recommend? I read a post where a member spray bombed his door jambs and coated with a clear top coat and it looked real nice. Would like to do something similar as I will not be able to get a painter to spary the trunk with a single stage or BC/CC.

Thanks for your help.

If you are trying to do this on a budget, pull all of the factory seam sealer, clean the joints with a wire brush and apply some Rustmort (Rustoleum product) you can get it at Autozone. Put some new sealant down and paint it with some Rustoleum paint of color choice.

Apply the Rustmort to rusty areas only, once it's dry then move on to prime and paint.

Any ideas for removing the black tar seam sealer that's in my '70 trunk? I'd like to get rid of all that and reseal it with something modern and not tar based.

Yeah, Ospho cheaper at hardware store, soon as the rust turns black, seal it.

I really like the Ospho stuff. It was hard to find in my neck of the woods and actually had to order a case of it from Ace Hardware. :banghead:

-
Back