How to sand out a run in paint?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I can never decide what grit paper to use to correct a dried run in paint. Should i use something like 400 or 600 and sand like crazy or use a grit more aggressive?

Wet sand with 1200 or 1500, depending on how severe the run is. Go heavier if necessary. Then compound and polish.
Is this single or 2 stage paint?

X2 On a block. sometimes is best to lay down masking tape beside it so you stay off the rest of it until you get down close

Thanks for the tips for defects in the final finish. This happens to be just before the final coat and after the paint is dry. Going over the color coat (single stage) a second time. Any follow-up taking into consideration the more details I have now provided? Thank you.

Take a one sided razor blade, then put a single thickness wrapped around the blade on each end, leaving the blade exposed between them and then use it to "shave" the run down to reduce how much sanding that will be needed to level it out. The tape acts as a buffer/stand-off/shim to keep the razor from cutting your "good" paint and just the high spot...

I learned that trick from a paint shop guy...

Special effect? If it is, much more work. Will take more than sanding. If mono color you're in luck.

I'm lazy, I use glazing putty and a squeegee to add a thin layer over the run. block sand(wet) until the putty is gone and so will the run with no thin clear/top coat to fail early.
the run always has a thin side and it's the side you DON'T want to sand too much off of.
I get minimal sanding for me and I get to use 800 and up to finish it off. founf the tip on the autobodystrore forum, they have some great tips and really show off what a hobbyist can do.

-
Back