How to seal 440 dipstick tube elbow?

-

MOPARoldtimer

Banned
Reaction score
My 440 has the stock oil pan with the male threads of a 90º brass street elbow (pictured) screwed into the driver's side of the oil pan. The end of the dipstick tube is flared and has a male fitting which threads into street elbow. I have a persistent oil leak where the elbow screws into the oil pan. Last time I tried to fix it I used non-hardening Permatex, but that didn't work.

What should I use to seal this? Rectorseal 5? Rectorseal 7? Indian Head gasket cement? Or something else? I know Rusty will lay the answer on me. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• elbow.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 247
these shouldn't need tape as they don't seal on the threads on the dipstick side of it, where it screws into the pan would need it though

it should have a double flare on the dipstick tube and be a good flare, if its ovaled or off centered thats an issue, also I've seen before that the brass fitting that screws into the pan gets a mark in the flare part and won't seal

check all these and let use know, sealer; tape or any other goop isn't going to solve the problem

Damned if I wouldn't disassemble it and look for a crack on the thread boss in the pan.

I would look for a crack too after no sealer help,even Teflon tape might expand it and make the leak more

I do believe you guys were right. There seemed to be a small crack at the top of the threaded boss, between the boss and the oil pan. I am trying Rectorseal 5 on it because I've had good luck with it in the past. If that doesn't work, I'll have to pull the pan and braze it.

Attachments

• oil pan boss.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 142
-
Back