How to ship 8 3/4 chunk

-

Markbo

Reaction score
Cant find the post for the life of me. Regarding shipment of 8 3/4 centers.

1. How do you place/prep these in a 5-gallon bucket for transport?
2. Which carrier did you use/Cost to ship?

Thank you
-Mark

The ones I have done are about 75 bucks with UPS. I make a cardboard top and just tape the heck out of it on the bucket with cardboard in the bottom to protect the bucket and cardboard stuffed on top real tight, then tape the top on real good. Works for me.

In 2013 I parted out a '67 Chrysler 300 that had a 3.23 SG. I sold the third member to a guy in Connecticut. It cost him $168 to ship from Northern CA to him. I put the chunk in a milk crate and closed the top with cardboard, all wrapped with about a roll of duct tape.

Fastenal will ship store to store also prob 40-50 bucks

Or single 5 gallon bucket/lid with 1/2" or so piece of plywood at bottom of bucket for strength/protection of ring gear.

Cut a hole in the lid for the yoke to stick through.

Milk crate, with lots of cardboard, or plywood on top.

I doubt anyone has more experience both good and bad shipping these. A 5 gal bucket isn't tall enough, The bottom isn't strong enough to keep the gear from ripping out the bottom. Best thing to use is a HTH chlorine pool tablet bucket. They have a screw top lid and they are tall enough to completely enclose it.Also cut a piece of 3/4" Plywood in the shape of a circle, the same size as the inside diameter of the bottom of the bucket. Pack the extra space with solid material. I use the gray bags with the expanding foam. Run down a pool guy or go to a pool supply to get the buckets. I had a guy I would trade Budweiser's for buckets. I shipped FedEx and UPS. They have both lost a rear end for me. I will Say UPS claims is easier and faster. Just my 2 cents.

Or single 5 gallon bucket/lid with 1/2" or so piece of plywood at bottom of bucket for strength/protection of ring gear.

I had someone ship me a 8 3/4 axle chunk in a 5 gallon bucket and by the time it got here the bottom was breaking out of it...

Reinforcing the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket with a piece of plywood is a good idea....

I ship it in a contractor bag, inside a 5 gallon bucket inside a double wall cardboard box. I reinforce the inside of the box with cardboard.

-
Back