How to stiffen the steering up

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have been wondering what can be done to stiffen up the "no feel" power steering both of our Dusters. I have always disliked the light steering on Mopars.

The Coronet has really stiff power steering, no idea what has been done to it, it looks stock and i have not been able to contact any of the previous owners to ask what has been done.

Both Dusters have the large steering wheels and can be turned with your finger tip, One the Coronet, it has a smaller diameter Grant, if you try that you would have to use your whole arm, as a example.

Is there a restrictor you put in the line, or is it a different pump or pulley you put on there?

I installed the first level firmfeel box in my '64, and it drives like brand new car from today, not 1964. I also rebuilt the entire steering and suspension, and reset the alignment with much more caster, so the new box has some help.

It's now the best steering old Mopar I've ever driven.

I screwed up some years ago when I replaced my steering box with a rebuilt unit from advance. I exchanged my units and forgot to get a little restrictor that was in the supply line between the pump and box. I didn't have any idea how big the hole was in the restrictor so i experimented and on my 3rd attempt hit it right on. now my car has "road feel" - and not too hard nor too soft to turn
More caster makes the steering wheel return better when you turn and track better going down the road too

-
Back