How to store over winter

-

grassy

Reaction score
We usually push the Duster outside, put jack posts under the frame and put on a fairly good car cover and use tie down straps to hold in on (in three places) because it is windy here.

Now that the car has been nicely painted..I am rethinking this..I think I can have the cover washed at the dry cleaner folks but I am worried about the tie down straps and the wind.

Would it be better to just let the show pile on it ?

2darts, unfortunately no.

I don't trust the portable garages and one year, i left my snow blower in there and it kept freezing on me ...so with the Mustang in one side, and some of my garden equipment and snow blower..so there is no room at the inn so to speak..

And do you remember how brutally cold it was last year...opps, I forgot you are in Ottawa...always brutally cold in the winter...been there, had the shivers :)

YES!! The cover could rub the paint off high points if it moves even a little bit!!

YES!! The cover could rub the paint off high points if it moves even a little bit!!

Yes..big winds down here..what do you do...I am not particular keen on farming it out to a storage barn in the next town..

Know anybody with a bit of extra garage space? somebody with an equipment shed? Or on the other hand I know around me there are a few companies that store cars for the winter, they have big heated warehouses, don't know how expensive that would be though.

Nevermind about finding a place to store it.

The nearest place I know of (w/o a dirt floor) is about 30 miles away...I think that is going to be a discussion soon...

Sorry Ian, but mine sits in my heated garage!!

Actually, my garage is plumbed to be heated but I haven't ever turned it on..it is the Scot in me :)

...and if you actually store a car being used on our roads with the salt, heat will accelerate the rusting..

Indoor storage is always better than outside in my mind. Be careful that it is not to damp or you will end up with BIG problems!

I'm not a big fan of storing a car outside over the winter. My daily driver truck is parked outside all winter and it shows. My car cover says it protects the car from snow but I think that is for an occasional snow, not all winter long. If moisture gets trapped against the paint, the paint will get little blisters or pock marks. Between that and the wind damage from the cover that new paint job wont be nice very long.
If I were you I would sacrifice the garden equipment to outdoor storage and squeeze the Duster and snow blower in the garage. I don't care as much about the paint on my tractor as I do the paint on my car. If you do end up paying for indoor storage it definitely won't cost what a paint job does.

I'm not a big fan of storing a car outside over the winter. My daily driver truck is parked outside all winter and it shows. My car cover says it protects the car from snow but I think that is for an occasional snow, not all winter long. If moisture gets trapped against the paint, the paint will get little blisters or pock marks. Between that and the wind damage from the cover that new paint job wont be nice very long.
If I were you I would sacrifice the garden equipment to outdoor storage and squeeze the Duster and snow blower in the garage. I don't care as much about the paint on my tractor as I do the paint on my car. If you do end up paying for indoor storage it definitely won't cost what a paint job does.

Well said. When we built our house, my wife convinced me we didn't need such a large garage because my toys were small. With both cars in, there isn't enough room to change your mind.

I think looking for other storage may be the key here..

Here in Moncton there are lots of places that offer storage( at a price). Ask other car guys in your area where they store. Perhaps one of them will point you in the right direction.

Think outside the box. I have a friend that rents the garage off of a senior assisted living house. I have seen HVAC shops that will rent a little space. How about someone with a landscaping business that will be closed up all winter?

-
Back