How to tell if all 4 barrels open- 4 speed car

-

BrianL

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but i'll go out on a limb anyway. My last car was an automatic with a four barrel carb. When you punched the gas pedal while cruising, you can feel that extra kick in g-forces when your head kind of snaps back a bit.

The car I have now is a 71 Demon four speed and four barrel. This is my first four speed car. When I'm cruising and punch the gas pedal, the car will move faster, but there's nothing like that extra kick that throws you back in the seat.

Is a four speed car supposed to "feel" the same as an automatic when you punch the gas pedal? Is it possible that my carb is only running on two barrels?

Thanks.

ok well you need to tell us if you are down shifting first...

also is your carb a mechanical or vacuum secondary style carb?

Not downshifting. Just cruising along in fourth gear, then punch it. When I do this, the car will pick up a lot of speed, but no kick like you get with an automatic. I guess it really is due to the automatic downshifting when you nail it. Just trying to make sure I'm not missing anything. It would be a bummer to find out a couple of years down the road that I've been driving on only two barrels!

simple-- pop hood, remove air cleaner, open to wot-- see if your secondaries are free to move-- vacuum (they won't open- but could with proper signal)
also best if someone is inside car & uses the gas pedal in case carpeting or something else is obstructing.

if all is good -- downshift that baby ^ see what happens. Lawrence

It won't feel the same cruising in 4th gear from my experience. If you have a Thermoquad on it you can feel it more due to the larger secondaries but other carbs you really don't feel much of a kick.

downshift and punch it...makes all the difference. I beat on my 360 4-speed Dart like a red-headed stepchild.

Wire the secondarys closed.
Go drive.
Feel any different ?

Just have some one get in the car and push the gas to the floor. Then check and make sure the throttle cable is pulling the linkage all the way open.

I have used a paper clip to see if they open. I had to manipulate the clip to stay on the secondary linkage (Holley). Took it for a test drive. After I pulled back in the driveway and popped the hood it was obviously they where opening.

What carb you are using?

It's an Edlebrock.

a5495313.png

That Eddy carb is more than likely kicking in. Looks to be in great shape. Down shifting one gear and punching will do it for you I believe. lol

God, I cant wait to feel that feeling in my Duster.....my 1st manual trans rear drive car!!!! all my previous mopars were auto's!

God, I cant wait to feel that feeling in my Duster.....my 1st manual trans rear drive car!!!! all my previous mopars were auto's!

Yeah the manual trans hits pretty hard doing it like mentioned above. Mine will fling the glove box door open. A diaphragm pressure plate and 10.95 performance clutch makes a difference. Ive had the stock Borg and Warner clutch/pressure plate and it doesn't compare. When the clutch it let out on the performance type clutch/pressure plate it will grab like a ****! I've have people say the B&W are just as good..... that's BS!

Really simple way to tell. Get a vacuum gauge and hook it to manifold vacuum with a long hose. Tape the gauge to the windshield so you can see it. When you stab the gas to the point where you know the secondaries should be open, if they open the vacuum gauge will drop like a rock.

LOL I was thinking the same thing for weeks...thought my 4s were not openning, most of my cars were automatic..then last week it hit me....downshift...LOL
Then a buddy told me about this thread...to funny...love getting rubber in Third gear LOL.
AL

LOL I was thinking the same thing for weeks...thought my 4s were not openning, most of my cars were automatic..then last week it hit me....downshift...LOL
Then a buddy told me about this thread...to funny...love getting rubber in Third gear LOL.
AL

Yea, downshifting does the trick. About gave myself a whiplash! It is bad *** though when you bang it down into third. The car lifts, you get a little rubber, and everyone within about a three block radius is saying "sweet!".

-
Back