How to tell what ive got

-

THEWHITEZOMBIE

Mopars an Heavy Metal
Reaction score
Hey,help a brother out
im doing a tranny swap behind my 72 dart the motor is a 70 318 with a stock 904 behind it,i pulled the motor to put in my new 904,but heres what i saw the two dont look that much the same,im not sure what year the new one is from my uncle gave it to me as laster years Bday gift
451310_363_full.jpg

old one is the left one
451310_364_full.jpg

i noticed that the input shaft is smaller on the old one then the new one
451310_365_full.jpg

also looking at the backs of the two the new one on the left dosent hav the same curves,or hump
451310_366_full.jpg

451310_367_full.jpg

451310_368_full.jpg

Is there a way to tell if its a 904 all the numbers are gone of it mostly to smooth it out,uncle did it,
could this be a 727?help me out guys?
MIKE

looks like a 727 beacuse those have that oilpan shape if i recolect it right, but i may be wrong

Look at the pan. if the pan is rectangular, you got a 904. If the pan is mostly rectangular with a "kickout" where the dipstick enters the pan it's a 727.

As for the bellhousing, This is all from memory so don't shoot me if I'm waay off. With the tranny in the normal position, measure the distance between the two top bolt holes. If it's a big block it's about 6-1/2", and the small block is around 7-1/2". Sounds bassackwards but thats the case.

Good luck!!! :salut:

Sweet thanks guys thats a big cunk off my shoulders,i learn somethin new every day
MIKE :thumrigh:

Mopower71 said:
The 904 and 727 use different torque converters
Ya i know that i do hav the correct TC for this tranny,TCI 3600 stall still in the box i looked up the part number on summit an thats what it is,i also hav there 3800 stall that came out of the tranny when it was behind my dads 340 ill play with that one some time down the road :thumleft:

It should work good,my dad had the same set up with the his duster when it was a 318,he used my 3800 stall my heads,an a little smaller cam an the rear end i just pulled out of his car with the 4.56's,he ran a best of 13.12 106mph at eh line he said he was at around 6200 at the baylands in fremont when i was a littel kid,so with him telling me every day he looks at my car he thinks itll pull the same as his did or a little faster with the right settings an a few changed parts
MIKE

running that 727 will feel like you lost some power due to different ratios and the amount of power it takes to rotate a 727 ( about 20 more hp than a 904) im a big fan of the 904 especialy for a small block, that runs in the low teens

Ya when i found out that it was a 727 i was like damn i just lost power,but looking at the two side by side an i feel better knowing that this thing is huge compared to the 904 so i feel like theres more beef under my foot!

-
Back