How to turn engine over by hand?

-

74/6Dart

Reaction score
I was looking to turn my engine over by hand to find out if there is any binding in the engine.

I know I should take the plugs out first to make it easy, but I looked at the harmonic balancer to see where the crankshaft bolt is and there isn't one, just 3 small bolts on the outside. I'm kinda wondering if using one of these smaller ones will end up braking off.

Any suggestions or insight are really appreciated!!!

You will likely break the pulley mounting bolt. you might put a much longe bolt in 2 of the holes and place a bar between them to turn it. Best plan would be to buy a bolt that fits the crank. Sorry I can say what size that is. Betcha somebody here does know. Hope this helps

with plugs out i can turn mine with the fan

as said with the low comp motor's you can sometimes turn them over with the plugs out... on the 170 i picked up i can turn it over with the plugs in lol

I was looking to turn my engine over by hand to find out if there is any binding in the engine.

I know I should take the plugs out first to make it easy, but I looked at the harmonic balancer to see where the crankshaft bolt is and there isn't one, just 3 small bolts on the outside. I'm kinda wondering if using one of these smaller ones will end up braking off.

Any suggestions or insight are really appreciated!!!

DO NOT GRAB THE BALANCER AND TURN!!! it is made up of an inner and outer ring, and you'll spin the outer...

the crank is threaded, its the same size/thread and a BB or SB but a different length...

those three bolts you see hold the extra pulley onto the balancer

Will the crank bolt go in the center of the pulley or do I have to take a few things off.

I couldn't tell on mine cause there was to much gunk down there and I didn't clean it up first.

The bolt shoud go in right through the pulley. I would stack some washers on the bolt so it doesn't hit bottom in the hole too.

Thanks!!!

You guys are great. All I gotta do now is some cleaning and some shopping and check to see if it's binding or not.

also about how much torq would you say a 6 should have? It's not rebuilt.

Thanks!!!

You guys are great. All I gotta do now is some cleaning and some shopping and check to see if it's binding or not.

also about how much torq would you say a 6 should have? It's not rebuilt.

my 225 with 300K made 85 hp and 134 ft tq

my 225 with 300K made 85 hp and 134 ft tq

Sorry I should have worded that differently. I meant what's a good torq for the engine to turn at (while turning the crank with a torq wrench) that would tell you if it's in pretty good shape and free of restrictions and wear?

If you have to ask that question, you won't know what you are feeling when you turn it anyway. (Especially since you are leaving the plugs in to do it)
Sorry, not trying to offend or anything.

You want to take this one further 805?

Sorry I should have worded that differently. I meant what's a good torq for the engine to turn at (while turning the crank with a torq wrench) that would tell you if it's in pretty good shape and free of restrictions and wear?

If you have to ask that question, you won't know what you are feeling when you turn it anyway. (Especially since you are leaving the plugs in to do it)
Sorry, not trying to offend or anything.

You want to take this one further 805?

ok well now im wondering how long this motor has been siting?? so??

you need to pull all the plugs and put a table spoon or two of ATF fluid in each cylinder to break the rings free in case they are stuck...

try to turn it over, either it will or it wont... with the bolt in you should be able to get a large crescent wrench on it and turn farily easily... a couple fingers...

Sorry, I got sidelined buy some other stuff. But, you guys are right all I had to do was turn it by hand using the fan..... seemed pretty sooth to me, so the engine's not binding and that's what i needed to find out. It wasn't sitting, it's being driven, but I was trying to run down a starting problem amoung other things. Turns out it was sticking choke linkage and bad ECU to dist. wires.

About the torq spec question I guess I went engineering overboard......

Thanks again for the help you guys!

-
Back