How well does dying seats work?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have some buckets out of a 95 pontiac that im putting into my scamp, but they are grey right now and im doing a black interior. Im also putting in a white rear bench that i want to dye black as well. I have used the duplicolour vinyl spray before with great results, but i find that on seats it comes off (i know because my dad sprayed it on his darts backseat and when i got up from there my *** was covered in flaking paint)...I have also tried spraying it on cloth, and it makes the cloth very harsh to the touch, and doesnt exactly do a good job of covering up the grey underneath, even after multiple coats...Are there any dyes out there that will do a good job on the seats (and even my carpet which is currently green)? Ive never died anything before, so im not aware of any good products out there, or what the procedure even involves...Id like to try to dye my buckets black, but if it doesnt work out ill have to get custom vinyl covers...any advice on this stuff would be great

thanks
matthew

I once sprayed a pair of green buckets, black and never had a problem.
The trick is to get the vinyl clean before spraying.
I wiped mine down with a rag dampened in lacquar thinner. and then quickly wiped it down with a dry cloth. Don't let the seat sit with wet thinner on it, it will melt the vinyl. But a light wipe down makes the vinyl a little tacky and the spay will adhere very well as it all dries.
Good luck

Like they said...clean vinyl is the key to a good dye job. I dyed the interior from burnt orange to black, including the seats, in my 68 Charger and it worked out great. I used spray nine to get the vinyl clean and then applied multiple light coats of dye.

Yes use a very good vinyl cleaner first before spraying. I used a product called painter pal. You will need to wash with water after applying. But when it is done they look way better and the vinyl paint will adhere much better.
AL

Then I used this product from Dupli-color.Auto spray. I had them color match the original Gold interior color. And I made all of my own interior panels. And sprayed them with this stuff. I'm really in the middle of it right now. It's working out REAL WELL!!! But the cans I get are only about half the size of normal cans. And cost about $8.00 a can. But in the end I'm going to save about $400.00- $500.00 on my interior doing it myself. The only thing I'm doing that is "Made" for my car as reproductio is my head liner.

hey guys thanks for all the tips...is the painters pal prep stuff made by goo gone? I know that proper prep is everything, and the cleaner the vinyl (and cloth as well in this case) the better it turns out...What kind of dyes/paints are you guys using? just some regular stuff from an arts and crafts store? never gone the dye route before so im not too sure on this stuff....like i said, ive only used the duplicolor vinyl spray...I only need to do black, no fancy colour matching

The Painters Pal is a spray but in gel form. Find yourself a small scrub brush to get into the tight areas like the piping then wash down with a wet rag. I am going with plastic cote this time, yes I got great results with Duplicolor last time but hell I guess I like trying new stuff LOL
AL

+X on the prep work. I think I used brake cleaner or acetone or something prior to using a 'vinyl dye spray' and it's held up pretty well for ~ 10 years. Every year I do 1-2 mins of touch ups and I am golden.

Cheers and good luck !

sweet guys thanks for the advice...looks like ill be goo goneing everything, then using duplicolor stuff on the vinyl and dye on the carpet and cloth buckets...hopefully everything turns out awesome

-
Back