63 MorePar

Electric Larry
Reaction score
http://westslope.craigslist.org/pts/4175394068.html
I go pick them up on Monday.
Casting #s
3671587 '73 340
3418915 '71-'72 340
I only see "J" by the spark plug holes on one head and not the other.
I would like to use them for a mild 318 build. Are they worthy of port work and bigger valves? Should I save them for a 360 stroker build in am planning down the road? Anything in particular I should look out for? I don't want to put a penny into my stock '76, 318 heads so I thought I'd snag them. Lots of ?s, I know and thanks for any input guys and gals! :D
Larry
Sorry guys, he deleted the add as I was righting. I paid $120 for the pair. That was the only photo I saved.

Attachments

• 360head.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 274
Ad has been deleted. There is a J on each of the heads in the picture you posted.

Attachments

• 360headc.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 223
  • 360headb.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 229
That's a lot of combustion chamber for a 318 but they'll flow plenty more than you need. I'd port match them and call it good as far as machine work goes. What mild 318 build did you have in mind? If this build calls for new pistons then get some 10:1 flat tops as you'll lose almost a full point over a 318 head.

The other photo showed "J" next to the plug holes on the out side of the head but only on one head.

That's a lot of combustion chamber for a 318 but they'll flow plenty more than you need. I'd port match them and call it good as far as machine work goes. What mild 318 build did you have in mind? If this build calls for new pistons then get some 10:1 flat tops as you'll lose almost a full point over a 318 head.
I was only planning on a re-ring and bearings. It still has cross hatching and is at stock bore. But pistons are not out of the question.

I assume this 318 is a temporary motor since you have a 360 build on the books. You may want to consider shaving them down to get the compression up. I think .065 should get that chamber down to a respectable 65cc which won't hurt on a 360 either. You can get that done for fairly cheap. Remember your altitude will allow you to run a little higher compression on pump gas than the sea level guys can do.

The 318 is going in my wife's project and will be a keeper. The 360 I would like to stroke will end up in my '63 some day. The 340 in my '63 now will be shelved and may end up in my '54 C truck. So that being said, if I commit these heads to the 318, than maybe I want to think about flat tops for the build. Either way I think I did ok grabbing these from what I'm hearing.

If you do decide to shave them, make sure you shave the intake side the appropriate amount as well. Also, consider that shaving them .065", your pushrod length may be a bit too long. There are considerations no matter which direction you go.

EDIT: for the money, I think you did well

There's nothing really "wrong" with the heads, contrary to what some people on here will tell you. They are 40 year old technology is usually the first comment thrown, but if they're in good shape and fit your requirements, run them. But if you can get some new (read: taller) pistons and balance the bottom end in the 318, they'll probably be of much greater utility for you.

JMO

http://westslope.craigslist.org/pts/4175394068.html
I go pick them up on Monday.
Casting #s
3671587 '73 340
3418915 '71-'72 340
I only see "J" by the spark plug holes on one head and not the other.
I would like to use them for a mild 318 build. Are they worthy of port work and bigger valves? Should I save them for a 360 stroker build in am planning down the road? Anything in particular I should look out for? I don't want to put a penny into my stock '76, 318 heads so I thought I'd snag them. Lots of ?s, I know and thanks for any input guys and gals! :D
Larry
Sorry guys, he deleted the add as I was righting. I paid $120 for the pair. That was the only photo I saved.

You won't need any bigger valves than those 2.02 & 1.60. Bigger won't fit without $$$$ anyhow. You stole those heads! The small 318 bore will shroud the intake somewhat and if you shave the heads much make sure the intake will clear the edge of the cylinder. If you don't want 'em I'll take 'em. Dan

If you do decide to shave them, make sure you shave the intake side the appropriate amount as well. Also, consider that shaving them .065", your pushrod length may be a bit too long. There are considerations no matter which direction you go.

EDIT: for the money, I think you did well
Thanks! Good info! I need to get them in my hand and see what machine work needs to be done.(If any) Unfortunately the only machine shop we had in Durango is no longer. We have a shop we use through NAPA in Albuquerque but is kind of a pain in the ars to deal with. I need to find a shop on the western slope that's good and a little closer to home. I like the idea of the flat tops. If these heads are clean and straight and all the seats are good I may just run them. On the budget 'Ya know.

-
Back