Howdy from NC - 71 Demon

-

Brads71Demon

Reaction score
Name is Brad from Germanton, NC. I am BRAND NEW to the MOPAR world. First of all, I know this car is in BAD shape, but my uncle gave it to me for FREE (picked it up this past weekend). Been sitting since 1992, so I figured I would get it and tinker with it. I know this car isn't worth lots as it sits and I will probably end up putting more in this car than what its really worth, but it was a gift and I remember riding around lots in this car when I was a kid. I will definitely need lots of advice and from browsing this site I can see there is tons of info out there and very knowledgeable people. My plan is to (already pulled the seats out to get recovered), pull the engine and transmission (try to find a 4spd), and get those rebuilt (beef up the 318 a bit). Make the interior, engine bay and trunk area look like new, update suspension with new brakes, etc. I will get it road worthy first, and worry about body work later (have a truck I am working on as well). I may try to get the passenger door to match the rest of the patina on the car and I will probably tape out where the side stripes go and paint those and sand them to match the look of the car...New wheels/tires (I plan on going with the Rallye's on BFG's but need some info on size and fitment). I am looking at: 15x7 Front and 15x8 on Rear. What tire sizes would you recommend? Looking at 275/60/15 for Rear but not sure what will look good/fit on front...thoughts? Anyway, here is the demon! I look forward to learning more about the Mopar world!

Welcome from a Ex North Carolinian that is a good project and you will have a lot of fun with it.

Welcome to the best damn Mopar site on the interweb!!! Free Demon? Very cool, looks like a good project car too!! :glasses7:

Welcome to FABO!!! Man, a V8/stick Demon is a V8/stick Demon....lol. Looks like a good start to me, and the floors are in surprisingly good shape considering where you pulled it out of. Very nice gift you've gottin'. Looks like a fun project.

Welcome from another NC guy and this is a great site for help. I'm not familar with Germanton, are you down East? I'm up in Bonne.

the rear size will fit perfect. same size i have. not cutting or rear spring adj. the front i would go with 15*5. i have 15*7 bfg 235/60/15 in front and they rub rear corner of fender and r flush with the outside edge of fender. would like the tire to be inside of fender. if u like the size of the stock wheel (meaning the width of it, i believe it is smaller than a 7inch) thats the size i would go with but with a 15 rim. i like the look of a big fat tire in back and not to skinny in front.

Welcome from another North Carolinian. Like the Demon and the fact that it is a factory stick/V8 makes it fairly rare and very cool in my mind. I like your plans for it and your memories and the family connection make it really valuable to you, and that is what counts. I think your tire size should work on the rear with wheels and backspacing. Others can chime in on that.

BTW, even though I am a 4spd guy, I wouldn't rush to replace the three speed, unless you want a 4 spd really badly. I think it is another "cool" factory for your particular car. Good luck on the build and keep us posted.

Welcome bunch of great people here and lots of info take lots of notes so you remember it all, Mountains of NC here also like "Sick and Wrong"

thanks for all the compliments. I may leave it a 3spd....that is why i jumped at the opportunity to get it and get it going. Germanton is just a tad north of Winston-Salem, about 15min out from WS. Think i will go with the 275/60/15 for Rear for sure. Still not sure about the front....i want something that looks good but no rubbing of course.

i think you stole it....cool demon!good luck with it.

mike...also in n.c.

I think the cars in pretty good shape from the pictures. Should be a blast fixing up. Good luck and welcome.

-
Back