Howdy...

-

mopar440_82

MONC baby!!!
Reaction score
New to the forum (thx, everone), but not new to mopars... have a relatively dumb question... GF just re-purchased her '76 Plymouth Valiant Brougham, 2 dr, 318/2bbl/automatic... the ex she repurchased it from is, well, not machanically-inclined... let's just leave that alone! So, after trailering the car home, I began checking it out, and tried firing it... found a bunch of bad parts (ignition module, ballast resistor, etc., along with the plug wires being one post off around the cap)... then, while bringing number one cylinder to top dead to check timing, I discovered #1 hole has no compression...

Here is my question... in my back yard sits a Dodge Ramcharger with a very healthy 360/727... the truck will be sitting for some time, so I want to put the 360 in the Valiant... I know exhaust manifold ports may be different, and am prepared for that, as well as motor mount issues (can't remember if the LH or RH mount is different)... main ? is the converter... will 727 converter work in the 904? Am trying to do this as painlessly as possible, due to the current economic picture (I.E. CHEAP!!!) Any thoughts or helpful advice would be HUGELY apreciated!

Mopar Or No Car!!!:burnout:

A 318 is internally balanced and a 360 sadly is not. Therefore your converters will not interchange.

The mount ears on the driver's side of the 360 block are closer together than the ears on the 318. You can use the 318 mounts and make up the difference with washers or order a new mount set from Schumacher (www.engine-swaps.com). You can't use the 727 converter, but you can get an external balance flexplate from B&M or Summit and use the converter from the 318. If the Ramcharger is 2 wheel drive you can use the 727 and have the driveshaft in the Valiant shortened with the 727 front yoke added. Oh, welcome to the site.

A 318 is internally balanced and a 360 sadly is not. Therefore your converters will not interchange.
they wont interchange because one is a 904 and the other is a 727.727s converter hub is much bigger around

The mount ears on the driver's side of the 360 block are closer together than the ears on the 318. You can use the 318 mounts and make up the difference with washers or order a new mount set from Schumacher (www.engine-swaps.com). You can't use the 727 converter, but you can get an external balance flexplate from B&M or Summit and use the converter from the 318. If the Ramcharger is 2 wheel drive you can use the 727 and have the driveshaft in the Valiant shortened with the 727 front yoke added. Oh, welcome to the site.

Thx, Grump, for the reply... will look at the flexplate from Summit, and my 727 is 4X4... plan is to pull the 318, go through it and reinstall sometime next year, so the changes would be better if not too intrusive... flexplate that would work would be ideal, as I would like to retain the 904... as for mounts... wondering if I could just order one up for a 360 F-J-M body... hmmmm... have dealt with Schumacher before for 440 swap mounts into F-body /6 car... worked fine, but am on a tight budget this go-around...

thx guys... think I'll look to Summit for a balanced flexplate... should be just the ticket!

the oil pans are different for truck and car and the 318 pan is diff from 360. you can swap the oil pick up but the pan around the rear main is different so you will need to deal with that.

-
Back