Hunters

-

66MOPAR77

Reaction score
How many hunters we have out there,
We missed the first part of archery season here in NC
Today me and my stepson got our stands set up feeders stocked etc
We had a great afternoon it's just hard to keep from sweating and keeping scent
Down at 80 deg, the deer are very sensitive here in the mountains and you are forced to take short shots. We are competing this year it's his first season hunting alone with a bow and is dieting to take his first deer I took 3 last year
Love to see the kids enjoy the out doors:glasses7:

Just put out our food plot on Friday. I live on 80 acres. Deer everywhere, we didn't even need the food plot. My wife was watching two does out our back door this evening. My 13 year old just got a new cross bow yesterday. Shouldn't take him long to get a deer this year.

Here in ND the archery season is open. My grandson got a nice doe last Sunday on our tree lot. Deer gun season doesn't open until about Nov 8. It's good to see the young uns get excited about hunting.

Tracking and watching/glassing now, found a big tree rubbed down, must be a dandy one making his way threw here .

Memike, don't be looking at your phone and miss that big buck walk past.

To be honest my phone stays off till I remember to turn it back on when I get home half the time FJ5, If I am out there my ears are working overtime, my eye,s work good and slow to cover a good area .

Muley from back in the 80s.

Attachments

• muley small.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 185
I already killed a 5 point moose on our opening day of a 3 day hunt. My deer season doesn't start for another 3 weeks. Our deer hunting up here is probably a little different than it is for most of you. Our deer population is about 6 deer per square mile and most of our forest is very dense. It can be a real feat to even see a deer during our 4 week season for those that don't have a specific spot to hunt. The big drawing card here is the size of our deer. They not only can have large racks, (150" plus, and even a chance at the odd 170" plus), but they have huge bodies. It is not uncommon to shoot a deer that live weight is well over 300 lbs. My largest to date are 155 3/8" B&C score and another deer that field dressed at 245 lbs. That would put the live weight over 300 lbs.

Jack

Pa buck bow opened sat saw couple small bucks pa has antler restrictions 3 on 1 side it seems to be working alot of bigger bucks in woods here in western Pa

I already killed a 5 point moose on our opening day of a 3 day hunt. My deer season doesn't start for another 3 weeks. Our deer hunting up here is probably a little different than it is for most of you. Our deer population is about 6 deer per square mile and most of our forest is very dense. It can be a real feat to even see a deer during our 4 week season for those that don't have a specific spot to hunt. The big drawing card here is the size of our deer. They not only can have large racks, (150" plus, and even a chance at the odd 170" plus), but they have huge bodies. It is not uncommon to shoot a deer that live weight is well over 300 lbs. My largest to date are 155 3/8" B&C score and another deer that field dressed at 245 lbs. That would put the live weight over 300 lbs.

Jack
congrats on the hunt Jack

Only wing shooting here, finally got a golden retriever all trained up so to offset my laziness.

went out with some friends and found some good hunt spots but gun season opens nov. 15th and i can not shoot a bow any more. yes i know go get a cross bow, and i am saving for one now.

Our bow season opened last Saturday but I have not had a chance to get out in the woods yet. The Saturday before that was our youth day and my 10-year old son took his first deer...a 3 point buck. My son and I will be hitting the woods with the crossbow hopefully by this weekend.

The venison is taken care of for the year. I usually look for a nice sized fork horn for the freezer. Elk begins the 15th!

The venison is taken care of for the year. I usually look for a nice sized fork horn for the freezer. Elk begins the 15th!

Now your forum name makes perfect sense :)

Got the feeder loaded and apples out. Looking for a BIG FAT doe for sat.
Any one else allowed to hunt over bait

Got the feeder loaded and apples out. Looking for a BIG FAT doe for sat.
Any one else allowed to hunt over bait

Yes, we are, right know we have persimmon tree's they love to eat this time of year and they know where they are at and have been :glasses7: Salt/mineral blocks will be set out about the last of this month and the main thing is crushed and hole kernel corn mix for deer and Turkey :eek:ccasion:
Looks like we only get 2 days of shot gun hunts this year :banghead:
BUT!! in our hunting guide it reads No Turkey this year but they changed it and said Yes to a fall hunt after the the Book was put out :cheers: I will get me a gobbler the last of this month :cheers: they hit Creeds corn feeders every evening just before they roost =D>

Sure, we hunt over bait here legally. Can't hunt with dogs though , as in Virginia. We plant food plots on the family farm were we hunt. Its about 75 ac. Used to be a tobacco farm. No tobacco grown there in years now. Local beef farmer plants some corn and hay over there which helps keep the deer around. I am the Caretaker of the farm now for about 13yrs. I keep everything cut down thats not planted. Gives me plenty of opportunity to see what comes and goes.

I have a 150 acres and shot a 10pt white tail that field dressed at 173lbs. This is in an area that all the neighbors swear there are no deer. I can't say anything to them about it because they will shoot everything in sight with no restraint. I have been watching them multiply for a several years now and am currently only taking 1 buck a year. You have to understand this is West Texas and a good buck will only average about 120-130lbs. And no high fences. I don't believe in that. Nothing more than a canned hunt, IMO.

By the way, this was last year. Don't know what this year will hold yet.

Definitely a hunter! Sadly never had the opportunity to smoke a big one... :wack: one of these years maybe. I lost the place that adjoins my parents place, I hunted it the last 3 yrs and there are always a few nice bucks sneaking around back there (course I never see em) this year I'm just huntin my parents place, mostly just deer passin through, gets a little better closer to the rut but still mostly does. 2 of my bros shot pretty nice ones on dads place.

-
Back