Hunting down a stupid part!

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I got my new intake on and went to bolt everything up. I had a good time tracking down a new heater core hose fitting, temp sensor, and new bolts...but I can not find the hose fitting that comes out the front of the intake near the thermostat housing. Does anyone have a clue where I can get one of these and please don't say get it off the old intake because it will not come out. O'riely and all the other parts stores don't have anything.

The fitting for the bypass hose?

I guess so, I dont know the name for it but there is a hose coming off the top of the thermostat and under it there is a hose that comes out flat...like out the front of the intake.

Take your old intake to any welding shop.
Have them heat the intake around the fittings with a torch.
They will come right out.

after 36 years on the intake, a pair of vice grips and a BFH broke mine loose and came right out

If you want it in stainless, Summit Racing or Jegs should carry it under a company called Performance Stainless Steel.

How fast can jegs have it at my house. They usually take about a week but I am going to be gone for six months next monday so i really wanted to get one last drive in before the dart sat forever.

I have a torch and all the stuff to do that at my house but wouldnt it be easy to mess up the threads doing that.

If you mess up the thead then you have to buy 2 $14 fittings. It's worth a try, right?

It never fails to amaze me how much of a help people are on this website. Most forums when you post a thread asking for help people just tell you where to look and you guys actually track down the parts for me. You guys must be really bored. Thanks.

It never fails to amaze me how much of a help people are on this website. Most forums when you post a thread asking for help people just tell you where to look and you guys actually track down the parts for me. You guys must be really bored. Thanks.

Looking up the link I posted took me a few seconds, no problem at all!

I have a torch and all the stuff to do that at my house but wouldnt it be easy to mess up the threads doing that.

No,
You heat the intake around the fitting.
Keep the heat off the fitting.

Summit is in Ohio, if they can get me parts the next day in WV, they could do the same for you.

Instead of starting a new thread ill just high jack my own. Hood clearance is a huge problem with this new intake and carb. There actually is non. I took the air cleaner off the carb and closed the hood and I am pretty sure it still hit so a drop base air cleaner is not going to work. Is my only option getting a new hood?

Instead of starting a new thread ill just high jack my own. Hood clearance is a huge problem with this new intake and carb. There actually is non. I took the air cleaner off the carb and closed the hood and I am pretty sure it still hit so a drop base air cleaner is not going to work. Is my only option getting a new hood?

What intake and carb

I have a standard performer with a 1" spacer under a 625 AFB.
The stock 340 air cleaner fits.
I also have a cheap $30.00 open eldebrock 14" diameter and it also will fit under the stock hood 73 duster.

Can you cut down the air cleaner bolt? I use a drop base & a 3" K&N filter

I don't know if it is because I have the Schumacher mounts or what but there the hood hits a towel that I put over the carb when I shut the hood. There is not going to be a way around this besides cutting up the hood or getting a new one. The hood still has that grey insulation crap on it though so would taking that off be of any advantage at all.

I got my new intake on and went to bolt everything up. I had a good time tracking down a new heater core hose fitting, temp sensor, and new bolts...but I can not find the hose fitting that comes out the front of the intake near the thermostat housing. Does anyone have a clue where I can get one of these and please don't say get it off the old intake because it will not come out. O'riely and all the other parts stores don't have anything.

They are just pipe nipples. Take it to a hardware store find the right size, I prefer Brass, Get it long enough so it won't have any threads on the outside when you cut it to length.

They are just pipe nipples. Take it to a hardware store find the right size, I prefer Brass, Get it long enough so it won't have any threads on the outside when you cut it to length.

Correct a hardware store, Home Depot, or Lowes will have a pipe that will fit in there, its just standard pipe threads, nothing special. Cut pipe down to size and you are good to go.

How fast can jegs have it at my house. They usually take about a week but I am going to be gone for six months next monday so i really wanted to get one last drive in before the dart sat forever.

I was in a bind once--had to have it right now! So I just went down to my local hardware store and got a pipe fitting that screwed right in but the diameter was too small for the bypass hose. No problem, I slip a 5/8 heater hose over the fitting, cut the hose flush to the metal-about 1 inch long it was and the bypass hose then was tight when I slip it on and once clamped down it stayed just fine. Was to be just a temp fit, ended up using it for years like that.

-
Back