Hurricane Sandy

-

Arco440

Reaction score
Well as many on here have been affected by hurricane Sandy.I thought i would make a post just to wish all is well and thank those hard working guys and gals at the power company. I must give these guys a lot of credit.
Even though i was with out power for 48 hrs. I know that the task of turning the power back on was huge. There were many trees down a ton of downed wires and not to mention the homes cars and other damage caused as a result of Sandy.

I was pretty lucky considering at this moment i have a 60 foot tree that is leaning against my garage. Sandy was strong enough to rip this rather health tree from the roots and lean it in to my very personal space.I will try to get pics up soon.but today i will be picking up leaves sticks and bamboo.

The only thing i can say its good to have friends.since a good buddy of mine is a tree guy and the crane operator to boot.He asked me if i could wait or if it was serious. Since mine is not so serious and the tree is supported by my garage i am on the your my buddy and since i cost me nothing to have this tree craned out and cut up I Will wait.

P.S. hope all is well. Arco

Hey Arco,

Hopefully he can get it before it does more than lean on your garage,any ground shifting and it may come crashing through,

Best wishes for all you east coast family members that have been affected by Sandy

Bob

Hell of a mess. I'm deployed to Long Island to close ins. claims. I have a ton of files dumped on me today. To top that off I can't find a hotel and I probably can't find gas either.

Were on Long Island are you ? Maybe we can find a member that can help you with a place to stay ?

Yeah Dan, I might as well come over to Pa and go dirt bike riding after I wax.
Im not gonna have power for a while.........

Here are some pics from around the Twp. We just had the power restored, the generator is at the standby yet...it's dropped out twice so far.:angryfir:

Attachments

• Image00005.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 159
  • Image00006.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 162
  • Image00007.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 155
  • Image00011.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Image00015.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 169
  • Image00017.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 158
  • Image00019.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 160
  • Image00048.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 160
  • Image00002.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 168
Can I ask why aren't those power lines underground ? Other countries in Europe has spent billions to bury their power lines....the USA has billions to spend for Mars.

There was a million people on the east coast earlier this summer with no power for over a week, now they are saying its 10 days-or longer-to get all the power back on. When are the power lines going to be buried so they won't come down every time a bad storm strikes?

Mars has these fancy rovers and satellites spinning around, what benefit is that doing the people here on Earth...we now know there once water on Mars, too bad we could not keep the water out of New York and New Jersey..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ION-sea-barriers-shield-Superstorm-Sandy.html

Will New York build $6 BILLION sea barriers to shield itself from another Superstorm Sandy?

The vast destruction wreaked by the storm surge in New York could have been prevented with a sea barrier of the type that protects major cities in Europe, some scientists and engineers say.

The multibillion-dollar price tag of such a project has been a hindrance, but may appear more palatable after the damage from Superstorm Sandy has been tallied.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/31/n...-that-storm-damage-could-ravage-new-york.html

For Years, Warnings That It Could Happen Here

For nearly a decade, scientists have told city and state officials that New York faces certain peril: rising sea levels, more frequent flooding and extreme weather patterns. The alarm bells grew louder after Tropical Storm Irene last year, when the city shut down its subway system and water rushed into the Rockaways and Lower Manhattan.

On Tuesday, as New Yorkers woke up to submerged neighborhoods and water-soaked electrical equipment, officials took their first tentative steps toward considering major infrastructure changes that could protect the city’s fragile shores and eight million residents from repeated disastrous damage.

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said the state should consider a levee system or storm surge barriers and face up to the inadequacy of the existing protections.

Many jobs right here in the USA could be had if billions would be spent burying the above ground power lines, building storm barriers..not high tech jobs but hard labor jobs. I gladly help bury those power lines if jobs were created, yet all that is being done is putting the power lines back up, only so the next storm can blow them back down.

Some longterm planing needs to be done...its going to snow this winter, how many more power lines will be knock down in a few months ?

I hear ya Dodge Freak! Their already watching another storm for the East Coast next week, a Nor-Easter could hit Tuesday maybe Wednesday, not near the power of Sandy but with the issues left by Sandy any storm would not be good.

JCP&l, our power company was bought by some Ohio company. I won't name them but they look at us as a cash cow. Last year we had the North Easter on top of Irene and it took the months to get the mess cleaned up. Gov. Christie had them bent over a barrel and got all sorts of promises from them. I'm waiting to see how this one goes. Buried plant is great but a huge investment and we're very rural here. On the bright side my house phone works, DSL too!! The cell phone is another story.

I have 28 losses on L.I. and can't get there. No gas, no place to stay, all I can do is call my insured's and give them moral support. May be I can get in there next week.

Jim, Ive been trying to find you a place to crash but cant get through to most of my friends and family out there and the ones I have talked to are staying with others.

JCP&l, our power company was bought by some Ohio company. I won't name them but they look at us as a cash cow. Last year we had the North Easter on top of Irene and it took the months to get the mess cleaned up. Gov. Christie had them bent over a barrel and got all sorts of promises from them. I'm waiting to see how this one goes. Buried plant is great but a huge investment and we're very rural here. On the bright side my house phone works, DSL too!! The cell phone is another story.

I heard, yesterday, that ConEd refused help from some Alabama power company workers with their trucks who drove up a couple of days ago. ConEd workers said the were "scabs" because the Alabama crews aren't union. Is that true? If so, that sucks.

-
Back