Hurricanes & Gas Prices

-
Drove up to Barbourville,KY this weekend. Filled up at home for $3.89 a gallon. The night before it was $3.49 a gallon. Got up to barbourville and it was $4.99 a gallon.Some stations were out of gas as well. Alot of this is caused by the news media saying that the sky is falling and there will be no gas. It's all B.S. working people can't keep paying these high prices , and the economy is down so a raise is out of the question. So all i know is keep looking for better days.
Matt

I live in College Station it's roughly an hour to an hour and a half away from Houston and gas only went up about 10 cents at most stations around here.

yep by me 3.50 now 3.90 and most of the stations by me are all out of gas total crap

The best part is that the price of oil is down to $95 this morning. Lets see, its dropped from $145 to $95, sounds like 33%, yet gas prices are still $4.19. the prices sure shot up when oil went up, but they don't seem to want to drop when the price goes down. Sounds like all the arab gas station owners are putting the screws to us again.

The best part is that the price of oil is down to $95 this morning. Lets see, its dropped from $145 to $95, sounds like 33%, yet gas prices are still $4.19. the prices sure shot up when oil went up, but they don't seem to want to drop when the price goes down. Sounds like all the arab gas station owners are putting the screws to us again.

Imagine that!

Butbutbut....the prices are NOW being affected by the damage to the offshore rigs and to the refineries.....

yeah:angry7:...that's it:thebirdm:

25% of U.S. domestic petroleum refining capacity was off line. Virtually all of the Gulf Coast oil platforms and rigs were shut down and/or damaged. Assessment of the offshore facilities is presently going on. The easternmost platforms might already be re-manned and operating.

Refinery and offshore workers are only now returning to fire up their facilities in the western half of the Gulf. Most refineries were shut down due to loss of electric power supply and/or flooding threat.

Orange, TX suffered major flooding when the levees were breached. Petroleum plants there were heavily damaged.

This is worse than Rita because, with that storm, the plants around Galveston Bay went online as soon as that hurricane passed far to the east without damaging them. They then received oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to reduce the impact of the offshore facilities being down.

The independent gas station owners have to buy their gas from brokers. These brokers set the price of fuel the independents have to pay. If the refineries are shut down/less gas being refined, then the brokers raise prices on the independents. Lower supply, steady demand, prices go up. That's Economics 101.

OPEC announced they will reduce output by 500,000 barrels a day. A spit in the ocean. This had no effect on the price of oil. All you people complaining about the price of oil who do not live in Texas or Louisiana need to raise hell with your Congressmen. There hasn't been a new refinery built in the U.S. in over thirty years. The existing refineries are using old equipment and have expanded their existing plants over the years. For many years these existing refineries all across the U.S. have refined gas at or above 95% of their capacity. Plus we still buy millions of gallons of refined product from outside of the U.S.

Gas jumped $0.20 cents here in South Louisiana from before Hurricane Gustav ($3.54 to $3.75 today). South Louisiana and Texas refine 26% of the U.S. gasoline. Louisiana's coastline is disappering and the barrier islands and marshlands that once protected inland cities like New Orleans are gone or almost completely destroyed. All the canals and waterways in the marsh were dredged by the oil companies in the early 1900s. Saltwater intrusion destroys the brackish marsh grasses and further erodes the marsh causing more intense damage here than by 1965 Hurricane Betsy or 1969 Hurricane Camille (category 5 by the way). Louisiana's seafood (shrimp, fish, oysters) spawn and grow in those marshes. There is much talk to restore our marshlands. If it isn't done soon, New Orleans will be Gulf of Mexico-front property (experts predict 10 years).

Call your Senators and Representatives and demand new refineries in your state. All you California voters need to get that idiot Nancy Pelosi out of office and start drilling off the California coast. Technology has improved dramatically since the 1969 spill off Malibu Beach. Do an internet search and see how much oil spills in the Gulf of Mexico after 135 mile per hour winds hit the offshore oil rigs. More refineries, more production, very little effect on refined product after a hurricane, then very little effect on price of gas after a hurricane. Economics 101.

If you care more for seals, or birds, or caribou than you care about human life and the ability to provide a living to your family, then allow the environmental wackos to continue blocking/imposing unreasonable restriction on new refineries. And you can just pay ridiculous prices for gasoline.

I saw a big sign that had three pictures on it. One was what looked to be soy beans, the second one was a refinery building, and the third was a gas nozzle off a gas pump. Under each picture was wrote "Grow it here" "Make it here" and "Use it here". I know it didn't look like corn so wonder what it was? If the US became less dependent on oil and overseas oil wouldn't the price of gas come down?

I am offshore right now going past some of these platforms that got hit by the hurricane, it dosent look good. I work in the gulf of mexico oil industry on the diving side of things and all I can say is we pay what they want us to pay and that isnt going to change anytime some, even if oil drops to 80 a barrel or lower. Last week Saudi Arabia walked out on Opec, they took there toys and went home, the OPEC cartel control the market so effectivley that we have no alternative than pay what ever they ask for it. It dosent help that we havent built a new Oil refinnery in the US in 30yrs, demand gose up, supply stays the same and what do you know the price gose up. I feel sorry for the single parents trying to get the kids to soccer practice and what not and dealing with the fall out of high oil prices, like groceries that have rose 25% this year. I think its funny how everyone thinks a new person in office will solve all of our problem with oil, its all big buisness and our govenrment supports it. Just the thoughts of a offshore oil field worker in the diving industry.

Prices per gallon here in Va. are in the $3.70 to $4.00 range for regular. If we get only around 2% of the oil we use from the Gulf, why does the price of gas go up 10-20%??? Oil prices have dropped over 30% but prices at the pump have never reflected the price of oil trading in the $95.00 a barrel range. Sounds like the Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe Oil Company. :bs:

Its funny (actually not funny but certainly frustrating) how the price of gas jumped by $.40 in a day as Ike got closer to Texas and at the same time the price per barrel of crude dropped below $100 for the first time in months.

The good thing is the gas prices are on they way back down again. They dropped about $.05 yesterday.

-
Back