hurst v matic 2

-

ram250098

69 Barracuda
Reaction score
I have a Hurst V matic 2 shifter that I need to alter a tad. I need to know if the trigger handle can be removed and still have the shifter operate properly. I need to cut a slot out of the handle and bend it forward so I does not interfer with the console when pulled back into first gear.
Thanks
AL

Al,
Are you just looking to remove the trigger handle temporarily? You're talking about the front "trigger" handle? If you remove the upper pin that the trigger handle slides on, the handle will move up further and you'll be able to unscrew it. I dont think the shifter will work with it removed permanently.
FWIW, I know it's comparing apples to oranges, but I just custom mounted a Hurst V Matic shifter under the console of my '69 Charger. It was a lot of exact measuring and mods but it did fit.Barely. Knowing the area under my Dart console, I think if you mock it up carefully you shouldn't have to bend anything. I had to cut out the factory shifter mount and make my own brackets.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply...I knew someone would LOL.
This shifter is going into a 65 Coronet. My problem is when pulled back into first the ball is right on top of my consoles lid. I know the trigger does reverse and park but if I removed it I could heat and bend the shifter arm forward. I am just not sure if it will affect the shifter arm movement with the trigger gone.
Thanks again
AL

-
Back