Husqvarna chainsaw

-

sireland67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anybody had issues with a Husqvarna 240 chain saw ignition coils with a high failure rate.
Dad bought me a new saw in 2013, I added gas and oil to it, fired it up to make sure it ran ok.
Did not use the saw for about 6 months, next time I fired it up to use it, it only ran for about 5 minutes before the ignition coil went bad.
So I bought a new coil and put in it, thinking that I just got a bad one. Did not use the saw again for about a year.
Fast forward to yesterday, while using the saw hard for about 4 hrs, the coil I replaced went bad.
Now damn it, 2 coils with only around 1.5 gallons of gas ran thru the saw.
Ordered a new coil, it will be here Monday.
Is there something up with these saws?
I set the gap on the coil to flywheel to 0.010" using a plastic shim stock.
All coils were factory Husqvarna parts, this is starting to get expensive.

I went with a Remington electric. I don't like how finicky the carbs are with the gas powered models. They always gum up on me and need to be fixed every two years or so.

I burned up three electric saws last year. The last one seems to keep dumping oil on the chain, much more than the last two, but it's holding out longer than the other two have... Maybe that has something to do with it, but I'm going through bar oil like Kotex....

I bought the "extended warranty" and just keep returning them when they break...

Or to inject a pun...

I never "saw" that.... LOL!

I also have a poulan electric saw, hence the low hrs on my gas one.
The electric ones work great for light work, but I needed the gas one to split these butt logs.

NJtKv8.jpg

No problem with the coil, but my starting ritual begins with removing cover, pull and clean/dry with flame, the spark plug. If I don`t do this the saw will never start.
Once started the saw fires up first pull, every time. go figure..

Funny thing is with this saw, when it has spark is probably the easiest starting chainsaw I have ever owned.
It will start after the second pull every time cold, just hit the primer bulb and choke, its running.
Its just when it quits its like hitting the kill switch, and the coil is shot.
I am hoping third time is a charm, oem parts for this saw is not cheap.

Got the new oem coil yesterday.
Stuck it in today, fired right up and cut with it for a few hrs.
I no longer trust this saw to run more than a gallon of gas.

That sucks. We have a Stihl. It took a bit to figure out its quirks to start.Now its 2 pulls and its golden.
I have ZERO patience for pull start that don't start!! Lol

Yeah I would be contacting Husqvarna. You always hear you get what you pay for and in your case you're not.

I also have a poulan electric saw, hence the low hrs on my gas one.
The electric ones work great for light work, but I needed the gas one to split these butt logs.

NJtKv8.jpg

I will ocasionally cut up chunks if the grain is unsplittable. That looks like a couple wedges would bust it up pretty easy.

I got wedges, maul etc, but those butt logs were about 3 times longer than that and needed shortened to split them.
Anyways got the job completed and enough wood for camping next year.
I just no longer trust this saw to stay running. I might just buy an extra coil and keep it in my saw box.

I've had an 18" Ryobi for a couple years now. Has worked great so far. Prior to that i had a couple of Crapsman. One would start every time, but not stay running. The one before that would run great if you could get it started an run long enough to warm up.

That is what is so aggravating, this saw runs excellent, starts easy, has good power until the coil goes bad.

My husqvarna sucked. Bought a new cheap Poulan Pro and it hasn't let me down (yet).

I run a 455 and three Stihls, one of those is modded. I haven't had any issues with the Husky but like others here have said, I would definitely reach out the Husqvarna as I also believe they need to know about it. They make a real good saw and would be interested to see what they would do for you on this issue.

I run a 455 and three Stihls, one of those is modded. I haven't had any issues with the Husky but like others here have said, I would definitely reach out the Husqvarna as I also believe they need to know about it. They make a real good saw and would be interested to see what they would do for you on this issue.

I really need to contact Husqvarna and see if they have had problems with this saw.

I was looking at Stihls, but my dad gave me this saw, it was brand new, he bought it and when he got it home he said it was too heavy, never had gas or oil in it, so the saw was free to me, just them damn coils.

Might try the Arboristsite for some input on your problem, arboristsite.com. There are a lot of brand loyal members there so be ready for some grief about the Husky.

I really like my Stihl saws and try to spread out the usage on all four saws. Always like to empty the tank and run them dry when I put them away after firewood cutting is finished.

I have used different saws for a LOT of hours including a modded McCulloch with a 60 inch bar and 16 hp, Various Husky's, Shindiawa's of various sizes, Craftsman, Poulan Pro and Stihl.

I have found the Stihl and the Shindiawa to be the best saws for reliability.

Husky's are just like their bikes.
They haul *** until they don't (which is too often), and then more expensive to fix.

The McCulloch doesn't count here because it was highly modded, but still it was extremely reliable.

The two absolute best were the Shindiawa and the Poulan Pro for weight vs power vs reliability.

I took down 20- 8 foot round Ucalyptus stalks about 12 feet high and by the time I got half way through them the Husky was literally in pieces.
(Handle broke, starter cover broke without even hitting the end of it's travel)

The 40 inch Shindiawa always ran, had great power, and was lighter and quieter than all the others.( a little expensive, but so is Husky)

For the homeowner I would vote Poulan Pro or Stihl with price and reliability both taken into account.
For the pro cutter it would be Husky or Shindiawa.

60" bar 16 hp, damn that is a big saw.

I just want my like new saw to stay running for more than a gallon of gas.
3.94 gallon gas / 3.00 oil / 25.00 for coil = 31.94 per gallon of fuel run.

60" bar 16 hp, damn that is a big saw.

I just want my like new saw to stay running for more than a gallon of gas.
3.94 gallon gas / 3.00 oil / 25.00 for coil = 31.94 per gallon of fuel run.

Yep, thay was my Dad's saw for 8 foot rounds, and it was a monster.
Loud as all hell too, and one of the things I blamed for his deafness later in his life.
That saw didn't have a chain brake or even an auto recoil starter (you kept the starter rope in your back pocket. :D
The teeth on the chain were about 3/4 of an inch long and 1/2 high and had the depth guides cut down half way.
I remember because it was my job to sharpen the saws, and change worn out chains and bars.

-
Back