Hydraulic cam for /6

-

jmtrops

Reaction score
I am going to rebuild my /6 in the next few months and was thinking about converting it to the hydraulic cam. From what I have read all I need is the correct valve gear and the head and block are the same?

Jim

There really is no advantage to switching over to a hydraulic cam. To do it right is a lot of work.

Also you dont have the cam choices that the solid has. If you really want one get a 83 up engine and save yourself the trouble.
Frank

I know that there is no advantage other than I have delt with hydaulic cams before and they are easier to set up. I also know that I need the correct valve gear, pushrods, lifters, rockers and rocker shaft. What I need to know is there any other problems or needed mods for this convertion? I followed the link and it didn't answer this ?.

Thanks, Jim

The biggest thing is that the valve stems have to all be set at the same height when the valve job is done. Next, you have to assemble the block/head and measure to get the correct pushrod length, especially if the head/block have been milled.

Besides the proper rockers/shaft/cam/lifters/pushrods you will need pushrods and the late model oil pump.

Finally, if you have the early design head that takes the 3/8" bolt in the rear rocker shaft hole, it may not flow enough oil to keep the lifters pumped up. The solid lifter heads changed to the stepped bolt around '76, and the hydraulic head came out in '81.

Frank is right, cam selection sucks.

OK, sounds like too much trouble to convert. Now with a mech cam how much can I shave the head/block before I have to change the push rod length?

Jim

I cut .100 from mine and used the same push rods with no problem.

.100 off is common. If you really want to do it right have the head and block milled flat then CC the head. From there we can give you more detailed info for your project.
.100 on a stock head will get you about 9.5 to 1. Your piston will still be in the hole about .40 or so in most cases.
Frank

-
Back