Hydraulic camshaft with bushed lifter bore question

-

HuntedDuckV351

Reaction score
Working on a 372" bracket motor for my son and we have decided to change directions on this build. First off it was going to be a roller with worked eddys. Now he wants to run this short block with a standard hydraulic. Lifter bores are bushed and I wanted to know what's the smallest size hole we can get by with to feed the lifters?

.0625 or a 1/16 inch for the fractional guys. If the bushings are already installed it’s kind of a PITA to get the holes in them but I’ve done it before.

Just protect the top of the lifter bore with a piece of brass or aluminum and I used a center drill to get a divot to start the drill.

.0625 or a 1/16 inch for the fractional guys. If the bushings are already installed it’s kind of a PITA to get the holes in them but I’ve done it before.

Just protect the top of the lifter bore with a piece of brass or aluminum and I used a center drill to get a divot to start the drill.
Thank you for the info....the bushings already have feed holes that were put in buy the machine shop that bushed the bores...I will have to stop and see what size is they put in...if not a .0625 I will just follow the hole with a drill to size.

Kind of hard to imagine planning on going from a roller and then to a hyd. Not going to race it and just street drive it? If it's a factory block that has had bores bushed, you might just consider getting another block, as I would think the lifter bore machine work cost more than the value of a stock block and you could likely sell the bushed block, if properly done, for more than the cost of using another block and boring for pistons.

Kind of hard to imagine planning on going from a roller and then to a hyd. Not going to race it and just street drive it? If it's a factory block that has had bores bushed, you might just consider getting another block, as I would think the lifter bore machine work cost more than the value of a stock block and you could likely sell the bushed block, if properly done, for more than the cost of using another block and boring for pistons.
Yes it a factory block...the shop that did the bore done a really good job at a very reasonable price...no street driving....

I think that the last block I had lifter bore bushings installed, they drilled a .040 hole in them. I can double check if needed. That is what my buddy used for his R block W7 engine, with push rod oiling.

-
Back