Hydraulic clutch or mechanical?

-

FriscoWilly

Reaction score
Hello all I'm converting my 69' Dart to a 4 speed. I bought the motor(340) and the tranny from a guy who had it in his barracuda and he was running a hydraulic clutch with a wilwood floor pedal. He gave me everything to install the hydraulic system, but some friends of mine are trying to talk me into a mechanical set up. If I go that route, don't I have to weld some bracket onto the frame for the Z bar? My friend just converted his coronet to a four speed and he had to weld a bracket onto the frame, do I need to do this too, for my Dart? Also, I would have to purchase the parts to make that work. Just trying to get some advice on the best way to go Hydaulic or Mechanical? Thanks in advance.

Willy

Mechanical is my personal preference. Pretty hard for a mechanical linkage to fail. Hydraulic could fail a lot more ways than mechanical could.

if it was me and i already had the parts i would use the hydraulic set up.then you wont have to spend any more money and it should have better clearance for headers

There is a plate that is spot welded to the frame rail to reinforce the area where the ball stud mounts. Not hard to install and can be made from most any piece of heavy gauge sheet metal.

If you have all the parts for a hydraulic I would go that route. They are a lot less troublesome than the mechanical z-bar set ups.

Ya wanna trade and take my mechanical set-up? I'll gladly take your hydraulic set-up.

I'd keep the hydraulic set-up if I were you since you already have it. Also some brands of headers interfere with the mechanical z-bar.

Wylde1.

Thanks for the info, sorry wilde1, not interested in a trade. I think I'll weld the bracket in place, so if I want to go mechanical later, I can have that option. Can I buy that bracket on Yearone, I looked but they only seem to have B,E body brackets. Any suggestions without making one?

-
Back