hydraulic clutch questions

-

SirDan

Reaction score
I was looking at putting a hydraulic clutch in. I found a thread over at moparts about someone doing it. http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...28489&Words=+ChargerDude70&topic=&Search=true

I am worried if there will be room from the clutch master with power brakes. has anyone put a hydraulic setup in with power brakes?

I am also wondering about doing this with a borg and beck clutch, is the clutch going to be too strong and blow out lines or something crazy like that?

And to anyone that has done it, does it make the pedal that much easier to push?

i would not use a 3 finger (borg and beck) clutch with any hydraulic setup...will not work. you need a diaphragm clutch...

IF you want some idea of what operating a heavy BB clutch with a hydraulic pedal is like, just remove the over center spring from your factory linkage and start doing leg exercises!!!

You won't rupture any lines!!!

The thing to remember is that there is no "magic" in hydraulics. The "gearing" or "leverage" in hydraulics works EXACTLY the same as it does in mechanical levers

That is, if you move the pedal so far, the "other end" will move so far

IF you adjust the lever dimension to INCREASE movement on the other end, pedal EFFORT goes up

Exactly same way on hydraulics. IF you adjust cylinder bores to increase movement on the bottom end, pedal effort goes up exactly as if it were mechanical

There is no magic "boost" or leverage in a hydraulic setup.

The only one advantage is that IF your mechanical linkage is POORLY DESIGNED, you might reduce some friction, and the overall installation will be simplified

The problem I've heard is that some of the aftermarket hydraulic throwout assemblies are unreliable and sometimes don't have much travel.

Screw it Ill just stick with the mechanical linkage then.

I told my dad, "I'm going to get one of those diaphragm clutches" and he insisted on getting a borg and beck. Then he went and bought me one, i guess so I would not buy a diaphragm. Money is tight so I can't justify spending money on something I have already. My leg is going to be F'n huge!

centerforce dual friction clutches are a diaphram clutch that gives you a light pedal and they hold tight. I put one in my 79 ta and the pedal was awesome! That is what I am going to put behind my 440! along with the hydraulic clutch! Good luck, Jared

-
Back