Hydraulic release bearing question

-

E Satterfield

Reaction score
I did the American Powertrain conversion kit on the 72 Duster. I somewhat understand about pedal ratios etc. My problem or question is this.
I currently have the pedal pushrod set in the factory hole for the mechanical clutch pushrod. Pedal effort is about on par with a traditional 3 lever pressure plate. The throw or distance to the pedal stop that i fabricated is short which is about 3.5” from the floor or firewall. I’m not fond of this as it’s a little difficult to drive.
Before I installed the pedals in the car I drilled a second hole which is close to the factory bend in the pedal cross arm ( I noticed in an earlier post another member had added a flat piece of steel in this area to eliminate the bend. This modification changes the ratio to a more desirable one but in my case the plus side is easier pedal effort but the clutch releases approx 1” off the stop. Easier pedal but more difficult to drive.
I set the bearing to the diaphragm pressure plate fingers as per the instructions but the face bearing is against the fingers.
The total extended distance of the bearing before it runs the risk of blowing apart is 0.5”. I currently have 7/16” when the pedal is fully depressed.
Any ideas on what to do to use the more desirable ratio and not have the almost instant release when the pedal is released?
Thanks in advance. Eric

I run that setup on my Coronet. Rather than trying to figure out how to make it work, I used the factory clutch rod and attachment pin location. I cut off the clutch side of the rod about halfway down and tapped the end for the threaded rod they give you in the kit. Adjust the length of the threaded rod accordingly and you should be good.

Mopar Performance used to sell an adjustable clutch rod that is already tapped and threaded. Perhaps you could hunt one of those down and start with that instead.

-
Back