Hydraulic Shocks

-

Bad Sport

HALF A BUBBLE OFF
Staff member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Anybody know of hydraulic shocks (read-not gas shocks) for the rear of my Sport, that might be reasonably priced?

Anybody know of hydraulic shocks (read-not gas shocks) for the rear of my Sport, that might be reasonably priced?

I went looking for the same thing and I haven't been able to find any (reasonably priced) ones yet. I'd hate to have to dish out for more QA-1s. Hopefully someone knows a source.

Pretty much all modern shocks are hydraulic and have some level of gas charge. The gas charge just keeps the oil from foaming. Some shocks are "low pressure" and others are higher pressure. The label "Gas Shocks" only gets applied to those with higher pressure.
I'd look at one of the chain stores for their lowest priced shock if you want cheap. Or perhaps Rock Auto.

Pretty much all modern shocks are hydraulic and have some level of gas charge. The gas charge just keeps the oil from foaming. Some shocks are "low pressure" and others are higher pressure. The label "Gas Shocks" only gets applied to those with higher pressure.
I'd look at one of the chain stores for their lowest priced shock if you want cheap. Or perhaps Rock Auto.

Thanks for the clarification, I don't necessarily want "cheap", but I don't care to spend 300+ on a pair of shocks.

KYB makes great shocks at a reasonable price.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYB-4-Shocks-Dodge-Dart-Swinger-63-64-65-66-67-68-to-76-/360955925745?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ADodge%7CModel%3ADart&hash=item540aa654f1&vxp=mtr"]KYB 4 Shocks Dodge Dart Swinger 63 64 65 66 67 68 to 76 | eBay[/ame]

They are $42.25 a piece. That's reasonable for a great shock.

Gabriel makes a set for about $90.00 or $22.50 a piece if you want cheaper.

I can't be positive but the lowest priced shock on the market would be Grabriel Red Riders. They may be "non" gas.

I have KYB's on my '65. For just a driver they're OK, but I think that they're rougher than necessary for their firmness. Been spoiled by better dampers I guess.

I have KYB's on my '65. For just a driver they're OK, but I think that they're rougher than necessary for their firmness. Been spoiled by better dampers I guess.

I agree with that statement. Is there a comparably priced shock that also gives a good ride and good handling? I can't afford Bilstiens.

Good ride and handling are a combination of many parts. Sway bars? LCA's that are boxed? Proper torsion bar tension? Upper arms adjustable? proportion of weight front to back? Rim and tire sizes and weight? Shocks can only do so much to improve your ride.

It's a package deal.

I have KYB's by the way and they are a bit stiff just driving around but when you press them under hard driving conditions they respond....well.

What I'm after is mostly for the rear so it responds better under racing conditions. But then again I would probably need all 4.

QA1 makes them. I got a whole brand new set for this Chevelle I am workin on.

A set of 4 of the QA1 double adjustables ran us almost $1000 for the Charger. I'm thinking the Gabriels might be the way I'll go. - Although those aluminum bodied QA1s sure are pretty!

I agree that KYB is not really a drag racing shock.

I'm sure you could find some good quality shocks at a decent price. How about Koni?

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-KONI-82W-2277-ADJUSTABLE-SHOCKS-COIL-OVER-1-2-HEIMS-IMCA-DRAG-RACE-RACING-/291038869704?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c344b8c8&vxp=mtr"]New Koni 82W 2277 Adjustable Shocks Coil Over 1 2" Heims IMCA Drag Race Racing | eBay[/ame]

Or even something used that's in decent shape or re-buildable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/avo-coilover-drag-racing-shocks-/291164371849

You didn't define what kind of driving ,you do Bad Sport. If street /strip,check out Competition Engineering's shocks Listed as oil based,50 bucks a corner. If corner carving,no. (Have the front adjustables set at 70/30,was just fine on the 405).

You didn't define what kind of driving ,you do Bad Sport. If street /strip,check out Competition Engineering's shocks Listed as oil based,50 bucks a corner. If corner carving,no. (Have the front adjustables set at 70/30,was just fine on the 405).

Straight line. I'll check those out, thanks Tim.

-
Back