hydroboost components query

-

R3dplanet

Reaction score
Following the proud tradition of beginning one project and then embarking on a subsequent multitude of projects, I have bought an 8 3/4" rear end to replace my 7 1/4" stock unit. My plan is to have the thing rebuilt and powder coated.

But then I thought, why not convert over to rear discs at the same time? You know, for kicks. I already have front discs. Let's round out the picture here.

But then I thought, if I'm going to change to four wheel disc brakes, why not top a cherry on this sundae and ditch the vacuum booster and go with hydroboost? I love hydroboost.

But I don't love the idea of spending $1000 on a kit.

I've seen others whisper here and there on various Mopar forums about their own hydroboost conversions, but nothing concrete. My plan is to start with a hydroboost unit from Napa ($150):

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=NBB527248_0136010738&An=599001+101991+50014+2014082

I already have the two-bolt later-model Dodge pickup master cylinder. So it looks as if what I would need is an adapter plate for the firewall, some hoses and fittings, and a magic push rod. The hoses and fittings can be done locally by a hydraulic service outfit. That leaves the adapter and the rod. I can't fab an adapter myself and I'm not at all sure what to do about the push rod.

Any suggestions?

Following the proud tradition of beginning one project and then embarking on a subsequent multitude of projects, I have bought an 8 3/4" rear end to replace my 7 1/4" stock unit. My plan is to have the thing rebuilt and powder coated.

But then I thought, why not convert over to rear discs at the same time? You know, for kicks. I already have front discs. Let's round out the picture here.

But then I thought, if I'm going to change to four wheel disc brakes, why not top a cherry on this sundae and ditch the vacuum booster and go with hydroboost? I love hydroboost.

But I don't love the idea of spending $1000 on a kit.

I've seen others whisper here and there on various Mopar forums about their own hydroboost conversions, but nothing concrete. My plan is to start with a hydroboost unit from Napa ($150):

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=NBB527248_0136010738&An=599001+101991+50014+2014082

I already have the two-bolt later-model Dodge pickup master cylinder. So it looks as if what I would need is an adapter plate for the firewall, some hoses and fittings, and a magic push rod. The hoses and fittings can be done locally by a hydraulic service outfit. That leaves the adapter and the rod. I can't fab an adapter myself and I'm not at all sure what to do about the push rod.

Any suggestions?

see my new thread called hydroboost

Yes, I'm glad that you got away with your project for little money. I think I'd prefer to use an adapter plate so I wouldn't have to drill any more holes into the firewall.

I've seen one online but it says its for 1966 and up, and mine's a 1965.

Yes, I'm glad that you got away with your project for little money. I think I'd prefer to use an adapter plate so I wouldn't have to drill any more holes into the firewall.

1966 has the same pattern on the firewall for the master cylinder as the 1965 so if it fits a 1966 it will fit a 1965

I didn't drill any new holes in the car, If you read my thread you would know I modified the hydroboost mounting plate to fit the original car mounting studs (4 of them) you can spend $500-$600 on a bolt on hydroboost, but I did the same thing with a little work (took about a half a day) and a whole lot smaller amount of money

-
Back