Hypothetical question for the slant 6 gurus........

-

dodgetkboy78

EDELBROCK HEADS SUCK!
Reaction score
I am a Small Block guy, never driven a slant before, heard lost of good stuff, about great MPG, so here's the deal.

Wife has an 88 2 wheel drive ramcharger with 3.21 gears, and a 727, it has a 69 2bbl 318, stock except for cam, and gets about 12 around town, and 16 on the highway..... 7-9 in the winter around town. Yeah, it sucks.

I have tried carb, ignition, tuning, etc, this 318 just wont get good MPG, oh well, life goes on, nothing to cry over.

I have a 66 225, from a truck, and a 72 225, from a one ton..............

Both run like clocks, the 66 sounds like it is solid lifter.

What do you guru's think a well tuned slant will get for MPG in a 4500 pound ramcharger?

And is there any advantages/disadvantages between the 66 and the 72?

Is the converter balanced to zero?

And should I use the late 80's factory hi-stall, or the early low stall......?

If I have the mounts and radiator from the 72 (All fits into the 88 body/frame......) is that the last of my worries?

How does the slant do in high moisture conditions as far as icing?

How good do they start in the cold?

Questions Questions!

Well,the '72 is the better choice.
It would have hardened valve seats for unleaded gas, all things being equal, it's the best choice.
Both engines have solid lifter valve trains.
IMHO, you can expect 2 mpg difference, and a whole lot of power and torque lost compared to the 318. (stock and unmodified both)
Is it worth it?
It's up to you.

It doesn't need the power or the TQ, it is the wifes ride, doesn't pull a trailer, and spends a ton of time idling while the kids play hockey, etc......... So 2MPG is a pretty nice gain then, right?

I don't need to mod it, my only other thought for MPG was to build a purpose built mech cam 273 for MPG. (ISKY will grind me a beautiful solid version of their "mile-a-more" cam.) I just am leaning towards the slant because when it comes to idling, the smaller cubic inch, the less fuel to burn. I am on the right track, right?

I like the 72 idea too, considering it is already out of the truck, LOL.

put some headers on and your mpg will improve on the slant too.

To me, the gain isn't enough to outweigh the work or the conversion expense.
Unless, of course, you have a home for the 318 and kill 2 birds with one stone!

I would spend more time on the 318-- the truck is very heavy & less cubic inches is going to have to work harder to do the same thing.

it sure would be a waste of time to spend the $$ & effort only to get the same or worse mileage. Lawrence

So you guys are thinking possible the smaller motor would end up burning more fuel, simply because it is underpowered? That does make sense.......

I wish I could find someone who has owed a slant 2x ramcharger........ LOL

I hate to say it, but swap a 360 magnum in, pre 96 and tell the wife to cut the damn thing off! Watch you're mpg soar **looks to the sky for the invisible fuel economy flying away**

-
Back