I am PI$$ED

-
which trans is the best for these or do I need to buy a aftermarket. how do I tell which one I have and can a newer model trans be put in the truck. it has 225000 miles on it

After 4 rebuilds you don't know the one you have?

You should ask the dealer since that would be the easiest.

I personally don't know what you could replace it with for sure. You would want Overdrive if you get aftermarket I am assuming and the computer would still need info from the 46re trans connections in order to operate properly I am assuming.

If it is the 46re (which it really sounds like it is) the 225k and the 4 rebuilds clearly show how lame they really are.

After 4 rebuilds you don't know the one you have?

You should ask the dealer since that would be the easiest.

I personally don't know what you could replace it with for sure. You would want Overdrive if you get aftermarket I am assuming and the computer would still need info from the 46re trans connections in order to operate properly I am assuming.

If it is the 46re (which it really sounds like it is) the 225k and the 4 rebuilds clearly show how lame they really are.

no I never asked which trans it has but I will when I pick it up this afternoon.

and as for the torn seal, that is was the Dealer that is doing the rebuild told me was one of the things wrong. This trans started out as one of Dodges off the shelf rebuilt units with 3yr 36,000 mile trans.

no I never asked which trans it has but I will when I pick it up this afternoon.

and as for the torn seal, that is was the Dealer that is doing the rebuild told me was one of the things wrong. This trans started out as one of Dodges off the shelf rebuilt units with 3yr 36,000 mile trans.

Let us know what it is.

This thread has made me so paranoid that I went got the fluid and filter to change. I have the pan off right now.. came in the house for a little break. Adjusted the bands and fixing to install the filter and pan.

well just got my truck back trans seams to be working ok for now we will see how long it last this time it has a 47re trans

Just because your transmission had that problem what makes you think his is exactly the same??? And it needs a total rebuild. Wow!! Wish I could diagnose them that easily.

I agree with this. I doubt the problem is a total rebuild deal, but if it is, you cannot tell simply because it leaks.

These transmissions are not "junk". However, if you bought a 318 powered truck, you got a weaker version of the 46R*. This is because it has too few clutches in the front drum. Running anything less than a 47R* in a 3500 series truck is less than smart, but if you ordered the 360 thats what you got. Simple fix: the 47R* guts will fit in the 46R* case. If you can't get the whole trans for a donor, then buy a front and rear drum at a parts place and have the rebuild done carefully to set endplay properly, and clutch pack clearance to spec.

Last, I am puzzled by people, and more specifically trans shops, that build to the same specs ever time and expect a different result. You bought a multi thousand dollar piece of truck, do some research when rebuilding the trans, and get the unit built for what you need. It saves money long run, and costs very little more in the short run.

Well, I got mine out and apart. I took the TC and pump to the local tranny shop. The pump was bad and it had spun the bushing. The TC was so-so. They rebuilt the pump right in front of me and I was taking no chances and got a new TC. (the neck on the old one had grooves in it). The top dog at the tranny shop said I should check the rest of the tranny out while I had it apart, so I will do that tomorrow. He didn't think I would find anything serious, just better to be safe than sorry. After talking to him for 15 minutes we think we tracked down when the problem started. I overheated the tranny about 2 weeks ago while plowing my driveway.
As far as miles on this tranny, I have 279,000 K on it. I can't really call that a junk tranny either.

Jack

I dropped my tranny pan today,02 360 4x4 1500,Found inch long shards of steel ,looked like needles.Tomorrow i am puttin it back together and takin it to the tranny shop.I think it needs more than a filter and fluid change!!I cannot pull tranny's no more(bad back).gonna pay to have it fixed

What did you have before the 47re?

as far as I know thats what the truck came with is this different then what came in these trucks. I dont know much about these newer trans. I can tell the difference in a tf727 and tf904 thats about it. this is what the original was replaced with. the one in the truck now was a off the shelf replacement.

Glad to hear you found the problem Jack. 279,000 miles on it is pretty darn good. Most don't make it that far. I didn't realize you overheated it and it has that many miles on it when I said earlier it probably wouldn't need rebuilt and hate to tell you but I think I'd go ahead and pull it apart and do a rebuild even if it did shift good. There probably ain't much clutch and band material left and when you overheat them you score thrust washers. It's up to you but if it were mine that's what I'd do. You already know how much work it is to take in and out. Good luck.

as far as I know thats what the truck came with is this different then what came in these trucks. I dont know much about these newer trans. I can tell the difference in a tf727 and tf904 thats about it. this is what the original was replaced with. the one in the truck now was a off the shelf replacement.

No I was thinking they put a different trans in by what you said "this time it has a 47re trans." Never mind... that's what truck came with more than likely.

After a very lenthy inspection I couldn't find any other problems with it. I buttoned it back up and it is now back in the truck. I have a few more small things to finish up and I am back on the road. Working on your back when you have brusied ribs and torn muscles in your back sure is hard. I'll be glad when I'm done today.

Jack

My problems continue. I got it all back together and fired it up. It appears to be stuck in 2 gears at the same time. And it doesn't matter what position I put the gear selector in. As a mater of fact, it almost stalls out the engine when I put the gear selector in reverse. The only thing I can think of is that I put the pump gasket in wrong. The bolt holes lined up perfectly though and the other holes for the passages appeared to line up right.

ANY IDEAS?????

Jack

If all bolts went in o.k. pump gasket should only fit one way. Did you check to make sure input shaft turned after you got pump in?

Man that's odd. Did you or the other guys by any chance tighten down the front band to hold the clutch packs in place while R&R'ing the front pump? I always do that. Holds everything in place while you repair the pump. Then after you put the pump back in you have to remember to re-adjust the front band. If it's just that it's easy to check since the front band adjustment is on the outside.

Nope, never touched it. The only thing I can say there is the guts tried to come out with the pump, but they just slid back in place. And the pump dropped in with no problems.

Jack

I wonder if all the clutch plates did engaged properly? Allot of times when they slide in not all of the clutch plates engage unless you rock it back and forth. That's why I always tighten down the band before I take it apart. That makes sure everything stays in place. It almost has to be something didn't engage in the front or it should work since it worked before.

BTW: Did you check the end play after assembling it? I always do as an indicator that everything's in place right.

Well, I got it all back together for the 3rd time. It works great except for the whinning of the rebuilt pump. I'm sure it's bad as it is starting to leak again. I will be taking it out again and putting in a new pump. This time I will tighten the front band to make sure everything stays put. This is really starting to get old but it is my own fault. Haste makes waste, bigtime.

Jack

Man Jack #-o This sure has been a turd for you.
I hope all goes good this time.[-o<

Man Jack #-o This sure has been a turd for you.
I hope all goes good this time.[-o<

Man that's the truth. Sure hate to here your trans. woes Jack. Sounds like my bathroom remodel project. If I wouldn't have changed my ways I think I'd have already been in jail for slapping the snot out of the previous owners of my house for the stupid stuff they did.

BTW: Are you sure it's the pump whining? Pumps can whine if there's excessive clearance inside but usually whining comes from the converter. I've rebuilt pumps several times and haven't ever had a problem but I always check all clearances, not just slap in new gears. And if it's scored inside where the gears ride I junk it and get a new one. Did they check the clearances and what did the pump look like where the gears rode?

What did you find wrong last time?

What I found wrong was the clutch packs were not seated properly. I did see where the 2 drums were scraping, but I guess I didn't do any real damage to them as they went together well this time. ie: tabs went into the grooves good and there was no sign of wear elsewhere.

It shouldn't be the TC as it is brand new. The pump had signs of wear and I don't remember them checking any clearances. The moving gear had some pits in it but the surface of the body looked good. I am in the process of getting a new one. The local dealer here wanted $600 for a pump. LOL I am getting one from HT Powertrain for $95 plus shipping.

Jack

off subject but sounds like the same thing people call AOD transmissions junk for when they starts slipping because of the misadjustment of the TV cable. takes 2 seconds and your rewarded with solid shifts and a good lasting transmission, dont adjust the cable..you end up like me buring 3-4 out on the highway and end up with a 2 speed ford-o-glide busted AOD

-
Back