I could use some advice non Mopar

-

73dartsport318

Reaction score
First off I'm 23 and I graduate and got my Associates degree in Electronics Technology. Then I got job as a electronic tech for Halliburton and then got laid off on April 1 of this year having worked only 6 months there. Now I got my unemployeement denied for some reason, I can never get ahold of them on the phone. Ive put in 20 job apps in last few weeks and only one has called me back and that was few days ago. Ive been thinking about going back to college and getting my BS in Energy or Electrical Engineering. So do I need to keep looking for a job or take the summer off and go back to school and ride out this economy mess and hope for the best later. I have always wanted to my engineering degree. I really dont know what to do. Later I'm going to read the survival guide again. Thanks for the advice

I got laid off a couple of months ago as well. I worked at the same auto body shop as the lead painter for 12 years. I just decided to go to school.

Don't know where you are located, but I would suggest going to local Electric Companies, and trying to get on as a Journeyman. Knowing that would be a no-brainer and I believe you probably would have already done that, but you might find some local construction companies and see if you can get on with Home Building and running residental wiring.

Right now its tough to find any employment, and you might even need to consider doing other stuff....I hate fast food, and retail sales, but you might find a job doing custom Automotive Stereo Installations.

Keep on pressing on and you'll find something....eventually.

Good luck....there's alot of us unemployed American's out there.

I'm 43 so I got a few years on Ya .Looking back My advice would be if you can swing getting more schooling go for it. The world is changing so fast right now . Whole industry's are being rendered obsolete by technology .
The more knowledge you have the better able you will be able to adapt.
IMHO ,Best of luck to you !

I'm 43 so I got a few years on Ya .Looking back My advice would be if you can swing getting more schooling go for it. The world is changing so fast right now . Whole industry's are being rendered obsolete by technology .
The more knowledge you have the better able you will be able to adapt.
IMHO ,Best of luck to you !

Yeah, what he said, if you can swing it, getting more schooling particularly in such uncertain times would be time well spent :-D

Thank you for all of the helpful advice. I live in Winnsboro,Tx so its an hour drive to tyler, longview or greenville and 1:30 to dallas. Most of my job search has been through careerbuilder. Its almost imposible to get into the local electric companys around here and the local contruction company I pissed them off when I nailed some no treaspassing signs in there rear driveway. I've been leaning towards college for sometime. Since I got denied unemployeement alot stuff have crossed my mind making it worse. Thanks Again

DartSport- I got laid off last October and had to wait for unenjoyment to 'determine' my elegibility. It was great- you can't talk to the adjudicator, e-mails never get but a cursory reply, and the folks on the phone won't do sh*t. The only reason I got them to cough up anything was that I contacted my state reps offices and raised a stink...then I got a nice call from the upper management and a check within 4 business days. Course, it took 3 1/2 months altogether! Don't worry, these same folks are cooking up your new, universal health care insurance. Just don't get sick in the meantime, okay?

If you can stomach it my advise would be to go back to school for nursing. That is an industry that is always in need and you must be a bright young man so you should be able to adapt. If you are going to make a change though now is the time to do it, while you're still young.

American industry is in the crapper, construction too. The service fields are where it's at and everybody at some time in their life is going to need the services of a nurse. There's good money in it too but the hours are long, especially when you're new.

I built a tranny for a nurse who was building a Hemi Challenger not too long ago so it's really not strictly a female profession.

Well, an engineering degree sounds good.
Over the years I have looked at people with envy who got a military retirement at a relatively young age. They had a pension and access to health care. Yet they were young enough to “double dip”.
I don’t know what your feelings may be or what the options in the military are. But I would imagine that with your education so far, there might be some opportunities to enlist in the Air Force or Navy and get “paid” training with a position that wouldn’t be to “dangerous”.
Just an idea. Maybe not for you.

thank yall for the encouragement, I'm not sure if I have it in me to be a nurse,if that makes any sense but it is a good solid career thats always in demand. I havent put alot of thought in joining the military, that is a possiblity. I would serve my country with pride wether I stayed in the states or over seas. Thanks for all of the advice and encouragement it really means alot to me. I'm even thinking about getting my car running again with all of this free time I have now.

-
Back