I.D. this fishing pole

-

magnumdart

There is a bad moon on the rise.
Reaction score
I have no clue. I'm thinking 1875 give or take. Could even be from before the Civil War. About 52 inches in total length. I can find no markings at all. It is in very good shape so it should have at least had a copyright or something. Might be a mark under the line on the spool, but I want to leave the line alone if I can, it is getting a little delicate.

Attachments

• DSC00127 (640x480).jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC00126 (640x480).jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 254
  • 005 (640x480).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 217
Don't know for sure, but kinda looks like an ice fishing set-up. Is the rod very flexible?

Rod is steel. Doesn't bend to much after the first one foot of deflection. It bends in a fairly even arc from reel to tip. Tip to grip is only 33 inches.

lake trout trolling rig (or any deep water fish)
uses wire or lead core line
maybe '40's or 50's but i'm guessing

lake trout trolling rig (or any deep water fish)
uses wire or lead core line
maybe '40's or 50's but i'm guessing
I catch lakers in Lake Michigan. This pole would be demolished before I got to the downrigger. I think this pole could even be 1840 or 50. Notice how the reel is actually part of the pole. Most reels mount on top, side or bottom. This is the only reel I have ever seen that did not attach to the pole using some sort of a foot.

I could be bad wrong but I dont believe it to be near that old...I'm thinking 1940's-1950's...

is the handle wood or steel?

also is it lathe turned or hand done? could help dating it

I have several ice fishing poles that are set up like that. I would not venture a guess as to it's age, but if I had to I would say mid 1900's.

I would have to believe it's for ice fishing.

I have several ice fishing poles that are set up like that. I would not venture a guess as to it's age, but if I had to I would say mid 1900's.

I would have to believe it's for ice fishing.
It is possible you are right. The handles are wood and look to be turned. It aggravates me that there are no markings. It is well made, no doubt. The crank handles are also wood. It has no gears or clickers. Just that cheesy drag that does little more than keep the reel from free-wheeling. If you are right, it probably has little value especially with no history. Oddly enough Badsport, it was found in Michigan. I have one other contact that may be able to help me. Anyway, no loss. I paid two bucks for it, and it is sort of neat. Thanks all.

That looks to be a 1940s George O. Benson ice fishing pole.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJHJF!E88evoFBmBPUUQlO+uw~~60_12.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 158
  • $(KGrHqIOKpcE6d+LCEEyBPUUVHqImQ~~60_1.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 136
That looks to be a 1940s George O. Benson ice fishing pole.

I think you got it! Just a couple of minor differences and lots of similarities. On one the lever is in the back, and on the other it is on the front screw. The line guide on mine is adjustible, whereas the other seems fixed. So if the one I have is an improvement, it probably came after '43 or so. I never ice fished in my life, so I never even thought about it being an ice fishing pole. Thanks again.

I think you got it! Just a couple of minor differences and lots of similarities. On one the lever is in the back, and on the other it is on the front screw. The line guide on mine is adjustible, whereas the other seems fixed. So if the one I have is an improvement, it probably came after '43 or so. I never ice fished in my life, so I never even thought about it being an ice fishing pole. Thanks again.

Glad to help. I love a challange to figure what something is.

-
Back