I didn't know where to put this

-

HotLines

Realist - Free Thinker
Reaction score
I just bought this today for 1300. He said it has a transmission problem.. Its an 87 Mazda with a 96 318 Dodge Ram complete computer and complete harness including the stock F.I. and transmission. Of course like all conversions it needs things but the owner knew absolutely nothing as he only had it a month. He said that it shifts up than down and up again whereas he believes it is a 3 speed, yet as I looked under the truck, the trans seemed way to long to be anything other than a 518 4 speed, yet I can be wrong as well and I'll know when I put it on a lift. I think he thought it was shifting erratically although the power was there from the get-go and shifted pretty damn well to me... And it's stuffed in that compartment pretty tight. What do you think?

If it is a 96 Ram Drivetrain it would be a 46re
Awesome find too

Thank you. I think the problem may lie in the Hurst shifter itself. Is there any way possible the builder put the wrong shifter in it, it's loose to begin with and there isn't any way to tell what gear it's in. even pulling it back from Park, its a chore and loose as a goose..

By the way, does the 46re have a button for 4th O/D like the 518 does? And if this is the problem, could this transmission be run without the button as I see no button but than again, I haven't looked under the vehicle yet. I will raise it up in the next day or so and get a better look and also see if the electrics are hooked up. The whole harness is in this truck and the truck is lowered a bit. I dislike problems as well as disliking decals on windows which I already removed

Thanks again for your thoughts....

Owned a few of these, never with anything other than the weeny little stock 4 bangers though, great little trucks. I bet that things a riot to drive!

I had a 87 Mazda truck. The engine finally gve up the ghost and I wanted to stab a 318 in it but I couldn't because California smog laws wouldn't allow any modification to the emmission control system. So I went out and bought the Charger. Thank you California!

I had a 87 Mazda truck. The engine finally gve up the ghost and I wanted to stab a 318 in it but I couldn't because California smog laws wouldn't allow any modification to the emmission control system. So I went out and bought the Charger. Thank you California!

I live in the California Suburbs of Orange County where we have no smog or inspections yet there are many Californians who've come here to live and teach us how to drive in the left lane and pass on the right. With this little truck I think I will get the hang of it :)

-
Back