I do not remember the formula

-
images (1).jpg

Lol.make a still.. Brew some up and send to me to sample:thumbsup:
As I do not drink alcohol it would be pretty terrible as I would make it with taste testing it along the way. Like a gourmet chef that does not taste his creations before serving them

Here are pictures of what I have at this point in time. I had the gas engine lying around so including the parts I got at Home Depot about $15 for parts and paint and $45 for the tank.

Note: I left the trash cans in the picture for size comparison

90 gal compressor front.jpg

90gal comptressor back.jpg

that's huge, gotta be 80 gals, easy.

94 gallons by the dimensions he gave. Not sure if his dimensions included the "end caps", if they did it would be a bit less. If they didn't, a bit more.

I guess there is no limit to my greed for power (tools).
The first pix shows the new compressor I built and the small black can on the left side of it is the one I bought almost 4 years ago. That one is 32 gallons
Everything is there. Now I need to finish plumbing it. And figure out where to put it. It is either the compressor or the car in the garage. I do not think they will both fit together.
I could probably pull the new one outside, fill it up and it will probably last me the whole day on one tank full

2 compressors.jpg

90g comp in garage door.jpg

Everything is working but I have one problem. When the psi in the tank reaches 80 psi, the gas motor shuts off.
It does not roll to a stop. It stops on a dime.

The engine is a 5hp Briggs and Stratton. I runs very well normally or when uncoupled from the compressor. I have the check valve/ unloader installed. But I do not have the throttle from the unloader to the engine

I imagine you all know more than me. I really do not think the throttle cable not being installed yet, would cause this. Any ideas would be appreciated

I have been ill for the last 2-3 months so I have not updated this. I finally put an electric motor 5hp on the compressor. Pulling the starter cord and climbing on a ladder to check and refill the gas tank was more than this body can take.
This compressor now runs flawlessly. I am so glad I built this. I was working with pneumatic tools yesterday and if I still had the old copressor it would have been recharging the pressure 10 or more times. The new compressor only turned on once to recharge the tank. It is great

Last edited:
Electric 5 hp is big power compared to a gas engine.
Can also compensate with pulley changes.
My 20 gallon portable is running on a smaller motor for many years, i slowed it down because it couldnt pull up over 100 psi.

Electric 5 hp is big power compared to a gas engine.
Can also compensate with pulley changes.
My 20 gallon portable is running on a smaller motor for many years, i slowed it down because it couldnt pull up over 100 psi.
5hp is pretty big on single phase. Does it dim the lights in your shop when it starts up?

5hp is pretty big on single phase. Does it dim the lights in your shop when it starts up?

Not at all. I see no voltage drop in the line while starting or running.
As to the pulley's, I did not get into it that far. Guess I do not know enough about it to play with them.
I took a 4" x7/8 pulley (that looked about right) for the motor and used the pulley that came on the compressor pump

The best part is, I am pretty sure, I spent less than $400 to build this.

Last edited:
Not at all. I see no voltage drop in the line while starting or running.
As to the pulley's, I did not get into it that far. Guess I do not know enough about it to play with them.
I took a 4" x7/8 pulley (that looked about right) for the motor and used the pulley that came on the compressor pump

The best part is, I am pretty sure, I spent less than $400 to build this.
that's awesome. $400! That's a deal I'd go for anytime. Good job!

I realize this is many years too late. but I realized on rereading , I never posted the pictures of the final setup. Been running without a flaw for a few years now, Mounted it in the carport.

compressor B.jpg

Compressor C.jpg

compressor.jpg

-
Back