I got the 6 to turn by hand!!!

-

wheelz 63 dart gt

Reaction score
I got that bolt that Johnny Dart recommended, squirted some wd 40 into the cylinders which im sure were very dry and worked the crank shaft back and forth until it became easier. Like i said i took over some ones un finished project which can be very scary sometimes. you never know what you are going to find or get into. im just happy she turns over by hand. Still not as easy as it should be though, but alot easier. now i just got to time her, and put my distributor back on and fire her up for the first time in many years!

I would squirt a fair amount of motor oil into the cylinders and prime the oil pump then try turning it over

yeah i sot some motor oil in there as well. Good call on the oil pump. Thanx. How do i prime it

the only way to kind of prime it is to pull all the plugs and just let it spin...

on a slant the oil pump is run directly off the cam so there is no cool tool to do it...

what i would do is put some oil on the new filter and rotate it around so it soaks it into the filter material...

also as stated get some rislone or tranny fluid and put a table spoons worth in each...

if you have a small spray bottle thats even better....

I got that bolt that Johnny Dart recommended, squirted some wd 40 into the cylinders which im sure were very dry and worked the crank shaft back and forth until it became easier. Like i said i took over some ones un finished project which can be very scary sometimes. you never know what you are going to find or get into. im just happy she turns over by hand. Still not as easy as it should be though, but alot easier. now i just got to time her, and put my distributor back on and fire her up for the first time in many years!

Good news !
How about your fuel system ?
Have you drained the old fuel ?

Oh yeah, i got the fuel tank out right now and cleaned and painted it. Im waiting on my fuel sendig gasket and am soaking my sening unit in a little CLR for the rust. I hope its not shot. I still got to check my ohms after i get it back together. Im going to make my own gas tank temporarily to get it started. Now , my timing cover does not have any number badges. im a little confused. where do i set my light?

Oh yeah, i got the fuel tank out right now and cleaned and painted it. Im waiting on my fuel sendig gasket and am soaking my sening unit in a little CLR for the rust. I hope its not shot. I still got to check my ohms after i get it back together. Im going to make my own gas tank temporarily to get it started. Now , my timing cover does not have any number badges. im a little confused. where do i set my light?

Make sure before you put the tank back in that the sendin unit seal seals good. Sometimes you have to slightly bend the tangs on the lockin ring so that it tightens down more on the seal. You'll see what I'm talkin about. It ain't hard to figure out.

Let me know if your sending unit is shot.

I have a lightly used 5/16 unit that I will make you a good deal on.
Im going to a 3/8" unit.

Sounds like you are missing the timing tab/marker. You can see it in this pic.
It goes on the bottom right side of the timing chain cover.

Attachments

• Hart Basketball 021.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 209
Yeah, it sure is missing, i have to find me one some where. Thanx. I will let you know about the sending unit . I was going to work on my dart but i ended up restoring a snap on box some one neglected. What a shame. but my gain.

Sounds like your gaining some traction. I'm ready to see you say its purring like a kitten. Good luck.

Thats a good deal bro hope it fires up and runs like a champ. For me thats always the funnest part getting the motor to breath life again once there running and rolling again thats when I tend to loose interest again.

-
Back