I guess it had to happen eventually

-
Glad your son is ok......sorry about the car, I have been hit twice in my car. I keep fixing it and keep driving it....people sux...

Thanks for all the high spirit and condolences everyone! As far as judgement to what damage is done, what I can tell is that the whole font is gone beyond repair. The truck that hit me had plenty of time to see me and in the photos you can tell there was plenty of light to see a bright yellow car. I mean it was a guy driving in a truck, what guy wouldn't see a classic car and be all, " Oh wow that car looks awesome, I wonder what that is?".

Long story short of what happened. there was the intersection, a car in front of the guy that hit me came to the intersection at the same time as I, I let the car in front of him go first and proceeded to make my turn right after. When I was making my turn and lined up straight to the road I was turning on I noticed he had left his stop sign and coming toward me. I laid the horn down and he just continued to accelerate. Not only did he just hit me, he hit me and kept going over my car like I was a speed bump. Typically when you hit at low speed, you hit and stop almost immediately, but for some reason he wanted to make a follow through hit... I don't know haha.

The damage from my assessment is that the the front of my car was probably pushed inward about 6 inches or so. It was enough to push the radiator into my engine fan and punch a hole in it. No structural damage from what I can tell except a fracture behind one of the passenger side bolts holding the bumper mount on. no damage to the engine bay from what I see, except the radiator support is twisted up. and the front part of hood is bent under and both fenders collapsed.

Looks like it happened over by the baseball field parking lots. I sacrificed a couple of 66 Valiant fenders there a couple of times back in the 80's (Aggie Class of 83). One was slayed on a dumpster while out running the campus police at night with the headlights off (I don't recommend that by the way) and the other was on Hwy21 while attempting to pass multiple cars at once on a 2 lane highway (Yeah, don't recommend that one either).

Aaah Youth and ignorance...

Late yesterday, I got a call from my son Aaron who is attending Texas A&M. He first assured me that he was OK, then said that some guy just ran a stop sign and drove his truck over the front end of Aaron's Dart Sport. Ever get that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach?

For those of you who don't know, Aaron and I spent about three and a half years completely restoring his '74 Dart Sport we found in a salvage yard when he was 14 years old. It was his first and only car, being his daily driver for the past six years. Having never done anything like it before, restoring and customizing his car was made so much easier by taking advantage of the wealth of knowledge found here on this site. Many of you have been instrumental in the success and enjoyment of the "Dartster" project (half Dart and half Duster).

Until we get the insurance companies to settle, we won't know the future of the ol' girl. I haven't seen the damage in person, so I don't have a good feel for how bad it is. I'll probably go down this weekend and haul it back home for closer inspection.

I've seen several of you over the years post similar stories about your horror stories. I always sympathized with you for your loss, but never expected to be one who it would happen to. Just goes to show you that no one is safe from idiots.

We'll keep you posted on the outcome. Drive safe everyone.

Jerry

Sorry to hear about the car. At least no one was hurt bad. Keep after his
insurance. Show pictures of how great of shape it was in. Hopefully they
will understand that is not a beater and it is a collector car.
Hope I never have it happen to me with the Duster. But I do have collector
insurance thru Grundy.

Jw You are correct. It was in front of Reed Area and the Rec center on Olsen Blvd. What better time to have an accident than before the Texas A&M vs Texas basketball game too... haha traffic was backed up reallllly bad.

I recall once while driving my old Dodge they were repairing the traffic signal with those cherry pickers--think all lights got those LEDS that last longer and use less energy.

Well my light turn green and a worker waved me through and of course I had to do a jack rabbit start cause I was waiting for a few mins for them, lol. In the conner of my eye I seen a SUV doing a good 20--25 mph and my left foot which is always resting on the brake pedal slam the brakes on. She just went straight ahead and came inches away from impact...she did move a bit over--thank you

I was so cool, I hit the gas and peeled out of there while I noticed some workers running up to her yelling at her--why I peeled out of there. Nothing happen--came real close but bottom line no damage happen and I really should had look both ways first, not just watch the light and flag guy--heck he might have been why I didn't look both ways first

Sorry about the new issue you have to deal with. At least your son is OK. Metal can be repaired.

A wise person once told me:

The only real problems any of us have are related to health - your own, your family's, and/or your friend's. All the other things we call "problems" are really just some new experience that we would just a soon not have had to go through.

I know that statement sounds a bit corny and/or over simplified, but over the years I have reminded myself of this and it has made most of lifes problems a little easier to get through. Hope it will for you.

Ma Snart

x2. I remember when I first got married... took my wifes mom's new 7 Series Bmer to get pick up lunch... some lady tried to cut into traffic and didnt see me: slammed into the car, taking out the whole backend of drivers side, from rear door back!
I had a sick feeling in my gut as I called to tell her what happened to her beautiful "new" car.

I remember her words to this day:
"are you ok honey? Thats all that matters..."

-
Back