I have a few 225 questions, hopefully we can diagnose my car?

-

nickels767

Reaction score
New car, not sure if this is the right forum because as far as I know, my 77 Aspen is an F-body, however this is the most properly constructed site that google turned up.

So, here are it's quirks. Perhaps I can find some answers so I can either repair myself or go to a mechanic and not be screwed over.

1a - Stutter at low throttle and after gear changes. This one is pretty self explanatory. After gear changes (sudden rpm drop) and at a gentle throttle, the car is sputtering and generally unhappy. This confuses me, because at half to full throttle, the car pulls like a freight train loaded with feathers.
1b - Possibly related, the engine seems to run smoother, stronger, and harder when slightly angled down hill, and runs choke-y and deathly while aiming uphill. Makes no sense to me.

2 - Shifts smoothly (3spd auto) through all gears, however letting off the throttle in second causes a clunk. I also get a clunk going from drive to reverse and back. Also a whirring sound from the rear, (my guess is U-joints)

3 - Pretend each bracketed set represents a quarter second. This is how my turn signals work.

(on).(off)...(on).(off)...(on).(off).....(on-off)......(quick on off)....... and etc..., continuing to slow between lighting up and staying lit for less and less. Eventually it'll either not work, or work in slow cycles of three.

Aaaaaand, that's about it. Otherwise, beautiful car, but the stuttering has me concerned. 52,000KM if it matters, and it's been run 500km now since sitting for a year.

i will give it a shot

1) mixture , accelerator pump in the carb , generaly dirty carb needing a rebuild

1b) it should make sense because the law of gravity applies heres and the slant with a dirty 1 barrel can barely get out of its own way to begin with

2) this is going to be a worn rear gear/U joints and probably low on gear oil

3) change your flasher

Don't take that to mean that the car doesn't go up and down at the same speed. I am well aware of gravity. The concern is that the engine sounds very rough while aimed uphill at the same throttle position as aiming downhill. Nothing to do with speed, just the general smoothness of the engine.

Also, just played with the driveshaft and I most certainly need new u-joints. Rusty and clunky.

Don't take that to mean that the car doesn't go up and down at the same speed. I am well aware of gravity.

i didnt mean to sound like a smart *** lol my slants have always struggled on any incline but it sure did like the downside lol

a fresh and tuned carb with a fresh filter and good fuel pump is always a plus
welcome to A bodies !

I can take a shot @ 1B. I think it was '75 when Ma Mopar changed the carbs from a side hinged float to a center hinged float. When you go up hill the float will rise in the fuel bowl and starve the engine. When you go down hill the float will sink a bit but you are still getting fuel. I would get a '71 or '72 carb and try that. Had a '77 Road Runner with a 318 that did this until I got tired of it and swapped on a 650 Holley. The LAST time it died on me was on a railroad crossing with a train coming. That's when I decided to spring for the Holley carb and an Edelbrock manifold.

-
Back