I have been MIA, here's why.

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The New Brunswick moose hunt is over for me this year. My beautiful wife, Phyllis, took a 7 pointer at 7:43 opening morning. It was a beautiful morning with the temp around 32 F or 0C and not a breath of wind. There was a little ground fog that was patchy. She passed on a couple of cows about 20 minutes before the bull showed up. The moose ended up weighing 371 lbs at the butcher, hanging weight. One shot from her 30-06 to the base of the neck did the trick. The shot distance was a little over 100 yards. She said it was the best moose hunt she was ever on. This was her 4th moose license. She was really happy about it but was also pleased to be home after the long first day. Not to shabby for a 78 year old. I stayed at the camp and later that day my hunting buddy and I helped a couple of other hunters haul out and skin an 8 pointer they shot in the same area. Then yesterday we helped another friend skin his 20 pointer at my camp. The afternoon of the second day we were out looking around and came across a cow that had just been bred. She sure didn't have it all back together yet as she was staggering around and wasn't worried about us at all. Her hair on her rump was very matted and out of place. I don't think she knew what had just hit her. lol Yesterday morning my buddy and I went out looking again and came across a bull,cow and calf together. About 10 minutes later we could hear 3 bulls grunting about a mile down the road. We left there and went back to our hunting spot and I tried calling. I managed to call in a very large bull that was not to happy about being fooled. That was enough excitement for us and we headed for home late yesterday. All in all we saw 8 moose ourselves plus the two our friends shot. It was a great moose hunt.

Jack

MOOSE001.jpg

MOOSE002.jpg

MOOSE003.jpg

BRED COW.jpg

BIG BULL.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations to your wife who has not aged at all in the last 15 years, wow she looks great for her age bud.
You have been a busy fellow Jack, great to see this post this morning

Your northeast Arkansas friend memike

Last edited:
Wow, congratulations! Moose certainly are some majestic creatures. I grew up in the desert, didn't see my first moose until I was 30 years old in northern Montana. It was dead on the side of the road and I thought it was a horse. Stupid me thought, "Now why would someone leave a dead horse right on the side of the road?"

Second one I saw, I was wading in a lake, fishing. She was a large cow and got within maybe 20 yards. Scared the crap outta me, because I couldn't run, and if she wanted me, I was a dead duck.

Your wife did a nice job, I can only imagine the courage it takes to hunt and take down one of those monsters. Hope you have a big freezer!

-
Back