i have no clue

-

74Dusterkid

Reaction score
could you tell me the basics about a 904 torque flite trans. whether it is worth it to keep and rebuild or go for a 727. like 3 or 4 speed how much it can handle stuff like that

thanks craig like i said i have no clue lol

If built right you will have no problems in a small block, I have it in a duster with 422 w2 heads 355 gears is a street car but runs 11.95 in street trim. now with that said/ you will need 5 disk front drum, i run 2.74 low gear, and full manual shift, with 9 in conv. It also is about 3 tens faster than 727

as of right now it has a 360 in it and the broadcast sheet says it came with a 904 stock but the motor was originally a 318 so i dont know if the trans is new or the stock one just put behind the 360. it is still shifted from the column so theres no new shifter put in. i guess i will have to wait til it gets warmer around here to take it out and look at it in detail.

ITS ONLY LIKE 3 DEGREES HERE IN PA AND IT REALLY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAY TO COLD TOMORROWS HIGH IS 19 AND WITH WIND LIKE 0 URGGGGHHHHHH!!

I'd keep it and do as was mentioned, put a 5 disc front clutch in it, and a few other mods, and it'll do fine in back of a streetable 360.

thank you i have just seen torqueflites exploding and breaking so i didnt know wich way i should go so i will more than likely stay with the 904

Keep the 904 and have it rebuilt by a pro. It won't cost any more to build it to handle 450 all day long that it would a 727 and it doesn't consume nearly as much horsepower than a 727 cause it's internals are lighter. That means your car will be faster with it and get better gas mileage.

This is a really timely thread for me.....There is a 73 Dart I was looking at online...described as the following, trans and motor wise....

360/380 Mopar Performance crate engine. M1 intake. Demon 750 carb. double pump. Mopar Performance Ignition, Orange box, MSD adjustable timing control. Howe aluminum rad, TTI 1 5/8 coated headers, 2 1/2 exhaust with flowmasters. 904 trans with 2.74 low gearset. 5 clutch drums, TCI trans scat shift kit. Freshly built with 3 year warranty. stock torque converter.8 3/4 limited slip with 3.23 gears. large bolt pattern.

Seems like the trans of choice around here is the 727....but see that the 904 can be made very capable. But I am correct in assuming the 727 would always be the better choice if given it?

But I am correct in assuming the 727 would always be the better choice if given it?

All depends on the application. A 904 is actually the best choice for a application 450 and under with no more than 3800 lbs. such as most of the A-bodiy cars were building. It's more efficient as I stated above. For real high HP and/or very heavy vehicle applications a 727 is more suited due it being stronger without any modifications. JMHO

All depends on the application. A 904 is actually the best choice for a application 450 and under with no more than 3800 lbs. such as most of the A-bodiy cars were building. It's more efficient as I stated above. For real high HP and/or very heavy vehicle applications a 727 is more suited due it being stronger without any modifications. JMHO

Thanks...what about a STOCK 904? Does that hold true even if its stock ?

cause my dads friend just pulled a 727 out of a motorhome and im sure for the right price i could get it for my car. he also got a 440 with the trans. but for now i will more than likely stick with the 904

Thanks...what about a STOCK 904? Does that hold true even if its stock ?

A stock 904 will take a bunch of abuse, but will eventually give up in higher than stock hp builds.

cause my dads friend just pulled a 727 out of a motorhome and im sure for the right price i could get it for my car. he also got a 440 with the trans. but for now i will more than likely stick with the 904

The 727 from the MH will have a big block bell housing. If you are running a small block, the trans will not bolt up.

yea i know but he has the 440 BB that came with the MH but i dont really want to go to a big block any time soon

No all motorhomes are big block. I just looked at a 360 and trans. out of a motorhome a fellow had for sale. But alot of motorhomes used a totally differently designed tail section that had a parking brake assy. on the back of it so they won't work in a car without taking it totally apart and swapping in a car rear section and extension housing.

I have been using them for over 35yrs . have i broke a few sure app 100lbs lighter than 727 lower first gear ratio . i even use the 170 6 cyc convertor in some of them there cheap an i'm poor lol rebuilt one like 40$at the trans warehouse stalls around 22to 25 hundred . they even make a speacal case too 727 outside 904 insides powered by hemi there holding 900 to 1000 hp for a couple grand you can have one

-
Back