I hope I never have to buy another Precision seal as long as I live

-

TylerW

Reaction score
So i've been building a couple 4-door 67-69 sedans because I wanted practice before doing my Swinger and Scamp. Both needed windshields, so I ordered the first one from somebody that carried Precision gaskets, because they were CHEAP. Well here's a warning to those cooler than I who might actually be building a 2-door sedan, which takes the same gasket and windshield...don't buy a Precision gasket whatever you do. Even if they throw in a free flashlight. Why, you might ask?

BECAUSE THEY DON'T FIT!!!!!!!

The first one didn't fit, so I was stupid enough to buy a second one because I just couldn't wrap my brain around the idea that this company doesn't give a sh*t and keeps making the same poorly-fitting gasket. What wrong with it you might ask? It's too long horizontally. Both gaskets did the same thing...they bunched up at some point along the bottom, so that the seal leaks unless you put a BUNCH of compound under it. Both leaked in exactly the same place...in line with the left wiper pivot(no it's not the pivot. I've never even seen a pivot actually leak in 30 years of owning these), and the right lower corner. The driver side leak comes under the seal, the right leak comes under the glass. That's with compound exactly as Mopar did it. If that wasn't enough, the seal is too narrow on the a-pillars, so that when installed you can easily stick your finger under the edge of the seal and feel the edge of the windshield. What's wrong with these people?? Didn't they or their Chinese comrades even test one of these seals?

Every time a person posts a complaint on a forum, a few rationalizers are compelled to find a reason that the product is actually good and the person posting the complain is STUPID, so let me head that off and explain what things are NOT the cause:

1. I'm not trying to put a Duster seal and windshield in a Dart sedan.
2. I'm not putting the seals in upside down or inside out.
3. I didn't leave the original seal in and attempt to install the new one over it.
4. Neither car got rolled years ago and repaired by the same one-eyed bodyman.
5. I didn't have my kid or grandmother install it.
6. I don't deserve to have these issues just because I'm a goon who builds sedans. "I've installed 100's of precision seals in Swingers and Dusters and never had a problem har har hah hah hah".

I will take the blame for being too cheap to buy a Steele Rubber product. No more. I will buy from them and smile when I do it. They better fit though. DMT sells Precision seals and he should know better. In fact that's where I bought the second one. I was trying to support a small business owner but that one bit me.

Anyway, it's in, it doesn't leak, and life goes on. You have been warned though..don't be a cheapskate. Also, if anyone from Precision reads this, you ought to get off your ***, find a better original seal to make the mold from, or stop selling them.

I bought a front windshield gasket through Dante's a while back, '67 valiant 2 sedan using later stainless trim. Turned out to be a defect ..but Dante sent me another one right away that fit fine. I agree I think all of the channels are shallower than they should be which is why most of the time you need to put a little windshield sealer in that Groove as well as the receiving Groove around the metal and some butyl across the bottom. I did not seal the glass groove and at 1st ..by the 2nd rain it leaked..bummer...i used a plastic trim tool to open the channel and squeeze sealer in. Fixed. No more leaks. I can't remember if it was Precision seal or not could have been but don't quote me

Why couldn't I have seen this post yesterday,!

I just bought the Precision seal for my 67 convert from DMT.

Yesterday I discovered I had a massive leak in the exact same location.

I also bought a wiper seal kit as it was more pronounced with the wipers on. ( But then the wipers would only be on if the rain was too heavy to see so that might be a false positive for the wiper pivots.)

I recall seeing a post about two 1/2" rectangular holes under the windshield seal for, most likely body panel alignments, that people get leaks from.

I have not seen the water actually coming in but I figured replace the gasket, ( I can see water getting between the glass and the seal and pooling on top if the inside of the seal in the corners. And the wiper pivots are low hanging fruit.

-
Back