I hope this doesnt sound too ignorant

-

Baghdad Dart

Reaction score
My son and I have bought a 1970 440 out of a NON-hurst car. Its a good running engine for $450 with everything attatched still, including the 727. Is there any way that we can tell if its a 350HP or a 375HP from the outside? its already out of the car and we didnt get any numbers from the fender tag or build sheet. It does have a carter carb that is stock.

Jeff

Open the oil fill cap and look at the valve springs, if they are greenish or blue in color without a damper that would indicate a standard 440. If they are redish in color or have a damper in them that would indicate the magnum camshaft was installed. Also the exhaust manifolds are different on the standard 4bbl and the magnum engines.

Got it, thanks a lot. Simple and easy, just like I like.

Jeff

Got it, thanks a lot. Simple and easy, just like I like.

Jeff

Sorry Jeff, It's not that simple. Furz was right when he said that if the valves have the inner dampeners then that would imply that the engine was originally set up for the higher lift cam .455"/.470" and therefore 375 HP. Problem is that a lot could have happened between now and then. Both the 70 350 and 375 HP 440's had the same compression, piston to deck height and cc'd heads, usually the 906's but there are no quarantees. Suffice it to say that which ever you've got it's a really good base whether you stay stock or go for the throat. Oh and Jeff, no offence, but ya might want to drop the "Hurst" reference cuss it really doesn't mean anything, kind of like Magnum and Commando which Dodge and Plymouth used and I can just never remember which one used which but I'm sure someone will chime in with the answer. Almost forgot, like above asked, post the casting numbers off the side of the block and there will be a letter followed by a number (440) stamped on a 2 inch square part of the block just infront of the intake manifold drivers side just across from the distributor. Have fun.

Terry

-
Back