I killed my 64 Dart GT Convertible.

-
That is the new relay I installed today--it has one extra post that my old one didn't. Otherwise it's exactly the same.

That wiring diagram looks pretty accurate to my car: those two wires wrapped in tape are brown and red, going from the relay to the starter just like the diagram. Does that mean I don't have a fusible link? I don't have the yellow wire going from the relay because my relay doesnt have that post.

So, I have headlights, dashboard lites, heater and horn working. No taillights, turn signals, brake lights, or starter. I can't even drive it to the shop! Help me, wise ones!

I see a yellow wire in the picture and I think that's the one that goes to the ignition switch. I think the wire you don't have is a neutral safety switch. Is your car manual. Did they have neutral safety switches on manual cars in 1964? My 65 automatic has one and the schematic shows it, but maybe it's only on automatics?

Just checked my 1965 Factory Service Manual. It says:

"neutral starter switch (automatic transmission only)"

Since your relay has the post, but your car does not have the switch, I think you need to ground this post in order for the starter to crank. Or if you have an automatic then you need to run a wire from the post down to the neutral safety switch. On my car this wire is not part of the harness so if it were missing, you wouldn't see any evidence of it in the harness.

Not saying that's your problem, but you won't be able to start until you address it.

Ok try this again that empty plug you have there has to be either grounded or has to have the wire from the trans hooked up if auto if Manuel it may have the safety switch on the clutch pedal either way that pin has to be grounded or it will not engage the starter

View attachment image-290997964.jpg

Ok, you all deserve some kind of prize. First things: I cleaned and electric-lubed my fuse block and got all my electrical to work--all the contacts are rusty. I wish I could replace it, but getting up under that dash...it scares me that I'd never get it together again. I wonder how much someone would charge me to completely re-wire this car--all this old wiring and connectors can't last much longer.

So, all fixed except car won't start.

Then I took the advice of moparisbest and 65DartGt and grounded that empty post--success! Car starts. My old relay looked exactly like this except it was missing that post. Did I buy a relay for an automatic car by mistake? There isn't an extra wire around ready to hook onto it, so I don't know if the car ever had one.

I'll go back to the store tomorrow and see if I can get another relay, or I guess I can just ground this one to something.

That little wire with the tape--its just a crimp connector with some tape on it. I can't seem to find a fusible link wire anyplace, I wonder if maybe 64s don't have them?

You guys are awesome. If not for you, I would probably have had to tow it to a mechanic and pay thru the nose to have him figure this out. So glad I found this site! THANK YOU!

Good to hear .ok now under the tape you fond the wires just krimped together rite ? Well buy a fusible link tomarow and put it in place of the crimp some one has bypassed the link by removing it so replace it or if you get a bad short inside the car it will melt the harness down they must have bunrt it out at one time and instead of replacing it the bypassed it bad ideal fix ASAP

My 64ragtop had no fusible link. The new engine harness I got had no fusible link built into it either. Maybe I missed it in reading the thread, but are we talking about a manual or Automatic car? The terminal for the neutral safety switch should be wired either to the automatic transmission mounted switch or to the switch on the clutch pedal if it's a manual transmission car. My '64 Dodge factory manual dhows the terminal marked "G" to go to the neutral safety switch, by a wire they designated "S-4" a 16 Ga. brown wire.

EngineCompartmentWiring_zps7fa01dd7.jpg

If it were my car, and it had a standard transmission, I would look for a switch on the clutch pedal or linkage. If there wasn't one, I would install one! If it was my car, and had an automatic, I would find a way to connect the"G" terminal on the starter relay to the neutral safety switch that screws into the transmission near the shift cables. I don't want my car to start in gear!! That just seems like a basic elementary safety issue.

Of course, others may disagree.

And, cdbldr, If you take the driver's seat out, getting up under the dash is much easier. It's how ya become INTIMATELY acquainted with your car. And next time ya do any electrical work, I'll bet you take the negative wire off of the battery!

ATB

BC

These cars did not use a natural safety switch if equipped with a manual transmission.

If this were my car I would install a fusible link on conductor feeding the dash from battery.

Don’t antagonize the fire gods. You need to replace the corroded glass tube fuse block; it is a source of voltage drop, heat, and more electrical failures in the future.

I made up a six circuit replacement that bolted to existing block, using new stile spade fuses with something like this:
http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FB%2D66

The block I used was cheaper, and had no cover. All I did was one by one snip off wire from old block, crimp on a new female spade connector & shrink wrap it, and plug it into the new block.

New block mounted on old block to refit same mounting under dash:
100_0647.jpg

Rewired in place:

100_0646.jpg

Man I love a good rat’s nest of under dash wire. LOL
FYI,
Before this rewire and clean-up project started, I filled a 13 gallon trash bag 1/3 up with unused unnecessary wire from under dash. It was a major hacked up mess.

Yes, I removed the front seats for a more plesurable under dash wiring experence.

Also while I was at it I installed two relays triggered by top motor switch to remove the high amp load from the dash switch:
TopMotorRelay.jpg

Put the old relay back on. That extra plug if for a neutral safety wire, without it you don't get the connection to fire the starter. Also that taped up wire should be inspected and/or replaced.

That is the new relay I installed today--it has one extra post that my old one didn't. Otherwise it's exactly the same.

That wiring diagram looks pretty accurate to my car: those two wires wrapped in tape are brown and red, going from the relay to the starter just like the diagram. Does that mean I don't have a fusible link? I don't have the yellow wire going from the relay because my relay doesnt have that post.

So, I have headlights, dashboard lites, heater and horn working. No taillights, turn signals, brake lights, or starter. I can't even drive it to the shop! Help me, wise ones!

-
Back